Monday, June 09, 2003

Top 10 Metallica Songs

Neil sent me some old Metallica this morning -- I listened right through "...And Justice for All", even though it's the worst-sounding album of all time, and makes for terrible morning music. Half way through Harvester of Sorrow, I realized that I was developing a headache -- but the nostalgia and angst of the lyrics were strangely compelling: "ANGER! MISERY! YOU'LL SUFFER UNTO ME!" I have no idea what James Hetfield was so angry about in 1988, but I remember my cousin Jay playing it for me when we were 15, and thinking it was brutal. But it grew on me...and then we found ourselves screaming through the opening notes of "Blackened" when they came through Winnipeg on that tour. I was hooked.

My top 10 Metallica songs, in no particular order:
Battery, Sad But True, Leper Messiah, The Thing That Should Not Be, Harvester of Sorrow, Breadfan, Master of Puppets, The Wait, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Shortest Straw

No comments: