Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Only One

Had one of those warm dad-daughter moments this week. We've been listening to Yellowcard on the stereo a fair bit -- upbeat pop-punk/emo with big gang-vocal choruses, power chords and the odd inclusion of a violinist --- really it's only a few small steps up from the power ballads of the late '80s, but we love it. Anyway, we had Only One cranked up loud and Ivy and I were jumping around the living room and being stupid. At some point I collapsed in the chair, but Ivy kept going. Through the giant chorus, she was dancing and hollering all the words and pointing at me with those big blue eyes sparkling:
"...I just want to tell you so you know
Here I go, scream my lungs out and try to get to you
You are my only one
I let go, but there's just no one that gets me like you do
You are my only, my only one"
I was singing along and laughing with tears in my eyes, not really sure why. She bounced over to me at the end, gave me a big hug, and said, "because you are my only daddy, after all."

2 comments:

Ang said...

it's just too much...no comment...sniff...

Jeremy said...

ha haha...maybe this was a little over-the-top for a blog post, but I need to keep these little vignettes somewhere so they don't slip through my pathetic memory circuits.

Did you listen to the song? I'm so hooked on it...bubble-gum pop with distortion.