Wednesday, July 19, 2006

CFellows

We had a cool experience this week. I had e-mailed Christine Fellows about her coming out for the Summerland Folk Festival in a few weeks and she mentioned that they were also playing a show in Kelowna this Tuesday night. They didn't have a place to stay, so we got it set up so they could crash at Bill's. We had connected well with them in September, so it was great to hang out for a while in the morning -- smart, fun, happy folks. They loved Bill's place and seemed to enjoy having their own space for a bit. I so wished later that I had thought to ask Leanne to play her cello for the girls...next time, I suppose. Today I noticed that the CBC Radio 3 blog had a post about Christine and company as well.

Update: CF's new video gives you a great taste of her music and performance style.

4 comments:

Garth said...

I dropped by Christine Fellows site for a listen - good stuff! Reminds me a little of a female version of Sufjan Stevens - a good mix of instruments, lyrically interesting, and some catchy melodies. I wasn't able to make it to Winnipeg's Folk Festival but my little sister did and she scooped up some interesting Danish music, and of course sat in for some listening sessions with Cockburn!

Jeremy said...

Cool, glad you liked it. Winnipeg is her home base, so she'll likely play there a fair bit if you want to catch a show some time.

Garth said...

Winnipeg is so odd - great musicians and artists but they get zero publicity out here. I like to think I'm pretty current with the music scene and to hear about a great musician living in Winnipeg from someone in BC - well its just ironic!

Jeremy said...

Weird, eh? You'd think someone like Christine Fellows would be huge in Winnipeg. I guess the Weakerthans have had some hometown success, despite their third-person-tongue-in-cheek anthem "I Hate Winnipeg".