Friday, September 22, 2006

L.A. Land

I spent last week in Culver City, a section of Los Angeles that is home to Xap, the new corporate parent of Bridges. Work trips usually mean a pretty heavy schedule, so there weren't really any touristy sidetrips except for two amazing dinners out at i cugini in Santa Monica and Joe's in Venice Beach. Very cool areas -- would be fun to spend more time in those oceanside neighbourhoods.

I couldn't believe the car culture down there, with freeways and traffic everywhere, and seemingly everyone driving $60,000 vehicles. It's as spread out and smoggy as I had imagined. Flying past the famous Hollywood sign felt a little surreal on the way in, as if it should only exist as an imaginary place.

5 comments:

Ang said...

You mean that sign is for real?!
Just kidding, i'm actually really jealous.

Jeremy said...

Apparently it's real, although we were flying past it at 500 miles per hour...so who really knows? I did have a window seat, which was nice for that part.

Angelo said...

The car culture IS outrageous. Whenever I've been there I've tried to stay near to where my meetings are, or whatever, so I won't have to rent a car. Or, more importantly, so I won't have to drive on those godforsaken freeways. One time I was having a lunch meeting and my hotel was right down the hill, maybe two blocks away. My gracious host asked me if he could give me a lift back. I said, "That's okay, I'll walk." which warranted a brief scowl then, "Nonsense. It's hot out. Get in the car."

Jeremy said...

It's crazy, isn't it? I had heard about the freeways and seen photos and all that...but experiencing it was different.

Jeremy said...

I thought about this thread while watching Garden State this week, when Large is meeting old friends and they're reacting to his living in Los Angeles with a half-dozen variations on, "Man, I hear it's CRAZY down there."