Saturday, December 30, 2006

Christmas '06

christmas
I put together a set of photos from our low-key Christmas. I had the week off, which was wonderful. Several highlights, many of which I didn't drag the camera out for:
  • My grandparents flew out for the week, and it was great to connect with them again. Grandma even made us flat pancakes on Christmas morning. We saw them a bunch of times and they really hit it off with the girls.

    I may have been in denial about the extent of my grandpa's memory loss the last time I saw him a year and a half ago, and/or it has gotten worse since then. Compensating for the gaps in memory was very challenging. He keeps his spirits up, his long-term memory is somewhat better, and we could still visit fairly easily -- although the memory loss is sometimes frustrating and embarrassing for him, he says he's had 81 good years and doesn't dwell on the negative.
  • Barb and Laurel stopped in one afternoon for tea, much like they did last Christmas. We had hoped to go up to Apex with them, but decided against it -- it was snowing hard and we were sick of driving. Nice to hang with them a bit at our "new" place.
  • We spent a lot of time sliding down the hill in the backyard on the sled, even having a fire at the top to warm up by, and hot chocolate a few times. Lorne and the girls joined us one afternoon, and we also had a great session with Mark and Joel when they stayed with us. It doesn't exactly replace snowboarding for me...but the exercise is great (try dragging two kids repeatedly up a very long hill), it gets me outside in winter, and the girls have been stoked. We've been going to see the alpacas down the road for entertainment too.
  • Cass and David dropped by for lunch before Christmas, hanging out for a couple of hours. I fear we weren't the best hosts, letting our kids berate them, serving humble food and not even taking them tobagganning, but they didn't seem to hold it against us. I wish we lived closer to be able to see them more often.
  • Great party with a good chunk of the Stoesz clan at Lucy and Dave's in Penticton -- very cool to hang with Nick a bit, although I can't believe I didn't talk him into going for beers with me the next day. Everyone was feeling festive, the kids were fairly happy, and the food was excellent. It was fun catching up with Jay and Karen again...need to have them over here soon.
  • Christmas day at my folks was very mellow, warm and fun. Ivy, Mom, Grandma and I went for a gorgeous sunny walk along the lake before the big feast. I consented to playing some games, and there were a few puzzles on the go -- and presents of course. The girls were in their glory. Ivy got a camera, so hopefully we can get her blog updated with some new photos again.
  • We had a couple of excellent meals with the Hildebrands, who were pretty much our only friends who didn't end up "back home" in Manitoba this year for the holidays. Two evening sessions in their hot tub were highlights, too.
I'm sure there were other things that I've missed. We spent an inordinate amount of time lounging around the fire this year, just relaxing and hanging out, which I think I really needed.

6 comments:

Shane and Nicole said...

You guys look like you had so much fun! We met up with Gramma and Grampa during their layover at the Calgary airport and they said they had an absolute blast with all of you! Wish we could have been a part of it! Happy New Year to the Hiebert clan!
Nicole, Shane, Palmer & Molly the dog

Cassandra Savage said...

Thanks J&T for a relaxing visit and tasty lunch. On the drive home, we talked about how awesome your girls are (and wondered how you did it). Your idyllic chunk of land had us second-guessing our decision to settle in the city.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, it was pretty fun, Nicole. Maybe we should have leaned on the Calgary Carons to join us for the festivities?

Thought of you this morning when I landed briefly in your fine city on my way to LA -- noticed that you had hardly any snow.

Jeremy said...

Cass! Can't believe you perceived our girls as awesome after they pestered you relentlessly, but I'm glad to hear it. I'm glad you got to witness my usual chaos for a change -- could it be any more opposite than your hip, kidless pad in Kits?

I guess the grass is often greener -- whenever I come home from seeing you and other Vancouver friends, I think how incredible it would be to live in the city.

Anonymous said...

Jer, it loses its luster fairly quickly. Trust me.

Jeremy said...

I suppose so -- everyone has different tolerances for the city, for sure...and I know mine would be low. It's the idealized concept that sounds attractive.