Thursday, January 04, 2007

LA3

Sitting in my hotel room on the last night of my latest LA excursion, listening to indie 103.1 fm, which reminds me how awful Okanagan radio is. Seriously, these guys play so many ridiculously good tunes, old and new. The last time I was here, the perfect Foo Fighters song came on while I was reading a comment from Esther (old school Foo Fan that she is). Yesterday I had just started an e-mail to Tannis when Soundgarden's Outshined kicked in (our shared old heavy fave). Tonight when I fired it up on this shitty clock radio, it was on Weezer's classic My Name is Jonas, then through my favourite Silversun Pickups song (Lazy Eye), Nowhere Again by Secret Machines and now some Nine Inch Nails. All good.

Work, work, work this week, with no fun bike rides to the beach or Hollywood or anywhere else. The work has been interesting, thankfully, and we've gone out for excellent meals every night, which is a treat. I order fancy seafood in some form for every meal, because I love it and never bother to make it at home. Fish tacos the first night, thick ahi tuna burgers for lunch, seafood linguini tonight at a local Italian cafe, and an amazing Chinese shrimp dish with the best title -- "Crispy Prawns with Intriguing Flavours". Lots of interesting beers, too, especially a couple of tasty La Rossas from Italy tonight.

Update: I did manage to squeeze in a quick ride down to the beach before work on Friday. Tons of herons and pelicans along the "creek" and a howling wind from the north that had the sand drifting like blowing snow. Looking southeast through the haze into the just-risen sun, with waves crashing in violently to my right, open beach for miles ahead...good for the soul. Sadly, I didn't bring the camera this time, but still...not a bad way to start a long day that ended with devoted-friend Myron picking me up in Penticton well after midnight, with the same howling wind a thousand miles away.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah. Home. You missed a rockin' pool & library session tonite.

Jeremy said...

Ooooh, that does sound fun. Soon.......

Ang said...

Ha ha ha...library sessions vrs intriguing dinners without kids..."um, yeah" is right. :)

Anonymous said...

Ang, surely you're not making fun of my lifestyle and general lack of anything intriguing going on?! Oh the pain...

Jeremy said...

Ideal would be a more integrated combination -- regular intriguing dinners out without the kids, but still getting to snuggle them into bed each night.

Anonymous said...

LA again? What kind of work are you doing down south? In our day of technology, it is hard to believe you had fly all the way there to work? And yes...I'm bitter that I haven't traveled anywhere during the first week of 2007 but our weather here rocks for Manitoba and it being winter - nothing wrong with minus 4.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, it's weird going down there, since I usually work mostly work at home, only going in to the office here once or twice a week.

We're working collaboratively on a design project, and for certain types of work like that, face-to-face is much better.

The work travel isn't really related to regular travel, unfortunately. Aside from the nice meals, it's just steady work...although I did sneak out early yesterday morning so I could ride down to the beach for a bit before work.

Ang said...

ha ha noooooo...just thinking about the routine awaiting us @home...