Monday, March 26, 2007

Cougar Salvo

It's a little jarring when you wander over to Coasting to see how the Powell Pletts and their brood are doing, expecting to see the latest cute photos of the model mom and kids frolicking in coastal bliss...only to find that you're confronted with a couple of dozen pictures of a very intense military exercise -- guys in full gear carrying weapons, SWAT teams rounding up insurgents, military helicopters, police dogs...oh, and did I mention the weapons?

The scene is so far out of my frame of reference for "normal life" that it feels like peeking into a movie set -- something imaginary. But Canadian troops are actually engaged in real-life battle in Afghanistan right now, which is all too easy to ignore. Anyway, it sounds like Steve was in his glory.

4 comments:

Garth said...

Wow - that pic totally reminds me of when Steve & I went to the Portage Airshow all decked out in camo - i have a great shot of him behind some huge machine gun that I'll have to send his way! Also reminds me of Jodi's war parties he used to throw, we had these rubber band guns that we did all these war scenarios with - this is all pre-paintball days.

Jeremy said...

War parties?! Ok, that's just disturbing...no question that Jodi was a pretty intense kid.

Although I'm stoked to see Steve so stoked, I think it's ok to admit that I can't really relate. I guess didn't really have those experiences or areas of interest growing up.

Garth said...

Think of it as tag fast-forwarded with an extra kick of adrenaline. Or maybe you can relate to it with dirt-biking - did you ever "play" chase with your bro? My brother Blaine & I used to camo-up our quads with trees and play an adolescent version of hide and seek...

Have you never paint-balled? That is seriously intense!

Jeremy said...

No, never paint-balled. The whole chase-hide-shoot thing always kinda creeped me out, although I guess we did play some of that stuff around 10 years old, including a militant session using bb/pellet guns that ended with my cousin Lloyd having a bb embedded in his forehead (new C02 cartridge). We took it out with tweezers -- I can still remember the plink-plink-plunk as it fell into the sink. SO stupid.