Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bikers

Nick's summary of my blog a couple of years ago: "Yeah, all right already, we know you like biking and your kids are cute. We get it." Well, this one combines those two elements into one video post, the first showing Ivy's first wobbly pedalling on her classic bike. I'm SO proud of her.

On a tip from bike shop owner and old classmate Pat Siemens, I ditched the training wheels and pedals off her old bike a couple of weeks ago so she could push herself along with her feet as she learned the balance and steering -- WAY better for learning than training wheels. Listen for Ella saying "she's flying!" and Ivy calling out "I'm going to town!" as she gets to the road:



I also brought my camera on my new "backyard" ride -- it's a very nice little loop with an eight-minute road ride to the further trailhead, a short push and then a beautiful climb through a meadow. On the way back it's a a nice long rolling singletrack descent that gets me back home just over half an hour after I left...short enough for a lunch-break ride, which stokes me up.

The section of trail in the video twists down a long, dusty ridge with sagebrush and cacti (got one stuck in my leg on this ride) that leads back into town. The camera swings to the right at the end of the clip to try to capture the deer I scared up from beside the trail. Good livin':

15 comments:

Tannis said...

That looks SO fun. The soundtrack is a nice touch too. I'll have to figure out that loop for fall.

Jeremy said...

Can't drink, can't ride, can't play hockey, can't hot tub...that pregnancy thing would kill me. Thanks for being a good sport about it -- thankfully it's temporary, and yes, you'll be rippin' it up in fall.

Heather said...

I'm not sure why that first video cracks me up... maybe it's Ella's cute comment, Ivy being "off to town", or your lovely mop flying behind you as you chase Ivy down the driveway... in any case, I love it!

Jeremy said...

It is funny, isn't it? My useless, overprotective running alongside adds comic relief too. I think there's just something so cool about witnessing somebody's breakthrough moments like this, and laughter is a normal response.
:)

Tannis said...

Pretty much all I require to make it though the pregnancy in reasonable spirits is for someone to acknowledge occasionally that some of the restrictions suck. You play all your cards right...

The caramel decaf latte's are as decadent as it gets these days.

Garth said...

Biking rules and of course we want our daughters to hit the trails with us eh? I wish I hadn't gone the training wheels route as well with our oldest. She's not quite as far as Ivy but she's getting there too. Got to love those moments! I ordered a push bike for our youngest through Pat and I'm going to see if the progression will be quicker.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, totally. Part of why I was so stoked by Ivy's recent progress was just that I'm so into riding bikes myself, so of course I want her to share that love.

I almost guarantee that you'll have better luck with the push bike. I could see the very first time Ivy used hers that she was getting the real feel of it...after maybe five or six short sessions, she graduated to what you see in the video. Good luck with your girls...it's so fun to see them learn.

Dianne said...

Too cool, Jeremy! I started laughing and wanting to get up to dance! that looks like so much fun

Jeremy said...

Which one, Mom? I know you already saw Ivy riding in person, so I'm assuming the singletrack video...glad you liked it.

Jeremy said...

Garth, thanks also for the tip-off about mixing music with a video -- I didn't realize I could do that in eyespot until I saw yours...pretty neat.

Jeremy said...

Just for future reference, two days after I shot this singletrack video, I was riding through there again and when I got to the place where the deer had been, I looked over to see if maybe it was there again. And sure enough, there was something...a juvenile brown bear, standing in exactly the same spot maybe 20 feet off the trail, watching me zoom past. It never moved, but I've never moved so quickly down the bottom section of that trail.

pat said...

Wow, the response to the concept of not using training wheels has been great! I can hardly wait to try it out on our baby on the way! I've had some frustrated parents come back with great excitement about runbikes. Nice MTB vid too.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for that tip, Pat. I had watched the Norco video you sent way back when, but only remembered to try it with Ivy's old bike a month or so ago -- instant good results, actually teaching her how it felt to balance and steer. Training wheels are like a totally different activity.

Congrats on the baby-to-be. You guys gonna make it to the Okanagan in 2007?

pat said...

Based on your experience...How easy is it for new parents to travel accross the country? We're new at this and aren't committing to much of anything for this summer. I'm dying to ride your trails though!

Jeremy said...

We did the Kelowna-Winnipeg road trip when Ella was two months old, and Ivy was two and a half years old. It was winter, so the driving was terrible, but the kids were actually really good. It's certainly doable as long as you didn't worry about getting anywhere in a hurry.

Would be great to ride with you out here -- let me know if you do make it out this way.