- Weird, intense thunderstorm with hail shortly after they arrived, but it turned sunny and warm immediately after. Ella liked having slushy hail-balls thrown at her since she was safely behind the window.
- We sweated up McDougal Rim's nasty climb to the little lake at the top for a rest, a snack and good conversation. At that point you mostly forget the pain and feel lucky.
- The descent is several thousand vertical feet of seemingly endless singletrack with a surprising amount of variation, from tight, loamy sub-alpine forests and roots, opening up as it comes down into sparser forest and exposed, rocky sections where the trail is wider, looser and faster. From many places along the rim, you get great lookout points over Kelowna and the lake, and the wildflowers were putting on a show. Only one flat tire.
- Saturday night Tan coolked up a stellar lasagna and we hung out -- good friends, good times, good livin'.
- On Sunday, we hung around with the girls while ultra-cute preggos Tannis and Esther went for a walk, then headed out for another long ride, taking a cross-country-singletrack route up the backside of Rebellion to the top and retracing it back down later. Angelo got a great shot of me jumping a little log.
- Ice cream at Summerland Sweets capped off another hot ride, and then the Eidses headed back out on the highway in the early evening.
- Long-weekend Monday was restful and quiet, although we were all a bit grouchy here. Ivy struggled with the "Big Eye Sam" saga, trying to figure out the ethics of capturing something wild for a pet (a minnow). Big Eye didn't do well after we took him home from the beach, despite her best efforts to create a comfortable aquarium. As it became clear that he was on the way out, she threw her efforts into planning for and setting up an elaborate funeral, complete with invitations, a headstone, and decorated coffin. Then I realized that we could just take Big Eye back to the lake to "give him a chance at a good life", rather than continuing with funeral preparations. Much discussion and angst ensued, but it seemed to end up ok.
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Angelo and I took advantage of a good situation to ride our butts off.