Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Forest Fungi

Myron and I were riding some new trails (photos: Myron climbing and resting, me perched on a rock beside the lightning tree) above his place in Faulder on the weekend, and I noticed this interesting mushroom growing on a fallen fir tree. It might not look like much, but I knew it was unique in the semi-arid Okanagan ecosystem, so I snapped a few photos and did some research later to find out that it was a type of rare Miccorhizal fungi for this area. Now I know Plett has been hassling me about the constant stream of close-up photos of weeds and flowers on the blog lately, but I think even he will be fascinated by what I found when I got home and looked closely at the photos of this particular fungi: zoomed-in close-up.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a unique find - and so natural! Pearl

Anonymous said...

See, this is the problem with anonymous comments. Some fake "Plett" is out there posting all these rude comments on my behalf, trying to stir the porridge. Anyone who knows me knows I am fascinated by fungi, mollusks, shrubberies and miscellaneous invertebrates. Most of the coffee table books I own are centered upon these subjects. And then to throw an insult towards Myron and the 1986 Montreal Les Habitants - that's terrible. Just not something I would do. In fact, I am on my way to Hallmark right now to bye some cards and those delightful appology bears that they sell just to make sure that this neer-do-well does nothing to contaminate the pristine oasis of friendship in which we all swim.

The real Plett

Develo said...

I love the way the goatie looks like a natural extension of the fungal growth - a rare species indeed.

I can't believe this is my desktop photo for the next week.

Heather said...

I LOVE Photoshop!

Jeremy said...

Well, "The real Plett", your imposter double (evil twin?) keeps posting anti-canuck rants over in that other post. If I find out who it is, I'll change the shroom photo to portray their face. Glad to hear that YOU are into small flora and fauna as much as I am. Yet another thing we share in common!

I almost thought I detected the tiniest little note of sarcasm in that bit about swimming in the pristine oasis of our friendship, but I know you value our relationship too much to kid about something like that.

Jeremy said...

Greg, really it's not fair that you should be punished by having to see that thing all week -- you should be rewarded for your excellent suggestion instead. However, you did commit, and I expect to see a photo taken of you with your Plettshroom desktop at some point.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for your appreciation of my limited talents, Pearl and Heather.

Garth said...

Wow - I'll take a closer look at fungi the next time I see one along the trail. I like how the color of Plett's goatee is matched to the coloration of the tree fungi. And not that you need my 2 cents on hockey but let's face it the NHL died when the Jets left Winnipeg. Amazing how Van Halen's Jump just entered my mind...