Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Road Trip


This bizarre pattern is part of Spotted Lake, just outside Osoyoos. Tannis and I spent the day touring down through the South Okanagan and hitting some old favourite spots (and a few new ones):
  • Breakfast in the sunshine beside the lake at Shaughnessy's. Not only did I not have my camera, I forgot my wallet at home as well.
  • We dropped in on our friend Gayle at Blasted Church and enjoyed the drive along the east side of Skaha.
  • Lunch at Best of India in Oliver, a great little family-owned place we've enjoyed before. Delicious Indian food and friendly people. We wandered up Oliver's little main street strip and got some goodies at the East Indian grocery. Lots of Quebecois fruit pickers converging there for cherry season.
  • It wasn't hot when we left Summerland, but by the time we hit Osoyoos, it was getting really warm. We found Hayne's Point and enjoyed a glorious afternoon swimming (check out that belly) and walking. It's a bizarre and beautiful place; a thin strip of desert and marshy wetlands jutting out into Osoyoos lake with a campground crammed onto it -- nice walking trails and warm water.
  • We spotted Spotted Lake on the way over to Keremeos later in the afternoon, and made a run for Hedley, a tiny gold-rush town that seems to have captured my imagination. Since we were kid-free, we got a chance to try the Gold Dust Pub, a hundred-year-old house beside the Similkameen River that was converted into a cozy pub with excellent food and beer.
Then we had the rest of the weekend to just hang out and enjoy the quiet while my folks took care of the girls (thanks!). It seems to me that we did something else fun, but my memory is hopeless.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Ahh! I looove Hayne's Point. Such a neat little campsite, and that lake is so warm and lovely for swimming.

Jeremy said...

Isn't it fantastic? I hadn't been there before...had only seen it from way up on Hwy 3 as it climbs up out of the valley (which is also a spectacular drive). Have you guys ever stayed there?