Brother-in-law and old bandmate Chad graciously sent me a DVD copy of a show we played in Angelo's dad's paint shop in 1993. Rock 'n roll night in Rosenort, Manitoba. I cobbled together some of the clips into this short video of the last song we played, called "What Makes You Hate?" The sound is terrible and the editing is worse, but I get all nostalgic seeing and remembering this stuff:
- I wrote the song in an angrier time, and it seems a bit comical now, but I'm stoked on how HEADBANGINGLY HEAVY it is. I'm typing with one hand right now because the other fist is raised in the air in a metal salute.
- Fortunately this recording dates back to our post-hairband era and not earlier, but Chad's hair was still super long. I apparently had an poofy ponytail attempting to contain the quasi-afro I was sporting at the time, which really complemented that blue Adidas zip-up jacket.
- We were really tight on a few of the songs we played that night...there's something so amazing about playing music with people who are totally on the same page. I miss that.
- If I remember right, it was bloody cold outside. There was no publicity -- a locals-only show, I guess, as you can surmise from that last shot panning the "crowd". 40 people, maybe? Many dear folks in attendance, though.
- Steve started that incredibly odd frog-hop-moshing, and was joined by Tom, Will and I think Jesse or Jeff. I'm so glad that the weirdness was recorded for posterity.
- Trev joined in later when it turned into more legit moshing for about a minute -- I'm surprised he didn't dismiss our efforts altogether. I noticed a few other characters in the audience: Kristin, Ang, The Johns from Niverville, KenQ, Marj...the picture isn't very clear. Anyone else remember who else was there? Plett, Greg and Brent must have shown up at some point. I seem to remember Boot making a late appearance.
- I assume that Mal was there, because we were opening for Jean Pool (Mal's band with Tom and Will), but I don't see him. I think I played bass for them that night without really knowing any of the songs, including their one song that kicked so much ass (RPC? RBG?). As hideously bad as my bass playing for them must have sounded, I'd love to see the video of that set.
- This was 14 YEARS AGO. I'm old. If you were there, then you're old too.