Monday, November 19, 2007

Merritt Madness


Angelo and I stole one from the jaws of winter yesterday, driving from our respective homes through snowy passes to ride and pub together in Merritt. The mountain bike association there has done an inspirational job, and we keep going back for more. The whole experience made me feel 24 years old instead of 34 (or the 44 I've been feeling lately); even just cruising up the highway with some vintage tunes cranked (Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger and The Real Thing by Faith No More, both SO solid after all these years), coffee in hand, and no interruptions from the back seat.

The Godey Creek trails delivered yet again, with that long, mellow singletrack climb through sparse forest, then across a huge ridge of open grasslands, and finally the amazing technical descent along the creek. Sprinkle in some excellent conversation with an old friend to stretch the ride to three hours, an hour and half at the pub (Black Bear on tap!), and you've pretty much got my dream day. A few photos for posterity:Oh, and a neat little video showing Angelo riding a section (in two parts, because I had to move in between) of the creekside trail, with the adjacent waterfall providing the soundtrack:

6 comments:

Angelo said...

Makes me smile even now.

Jeremy said...

Same here! I must have watched these 20 seconds of video a dozen times already today...nice memory trigger.

Garth said...

Sweet riding guys - I'm jealous! Looks like a spot that Pat & I need to visit sometime!

Jeremy said...

Yeah, it's a fantastic spot, and it's easy to visit -- people drive by it all the time on their way to Vancouver and don't realize there's a perfect ride lurking in the woods above them. If you're ever going to the coast, it's worth a stop.

Kaili said...

I tagged you on my blog. Check it out.

It was nice seeing you guys today.

Jeremy said...

Thanks Kaili, cool to see you guys too. I cheated on the blog tag a bit, but left a comment over at your place.