- Lots more fun on the Dueck's backyard rink, both last weekend and this weekend, and an amazing night session on the evening of the eclipse. Sunday morning we met them for breakfast at Tim Horton's before skating -- nice sunny spot and everyone was happy to fuel up.
- It's been above seasonal temperatures for a couple of weeks, with highs between 5 and 9 degrees, but the snow seems to be taking forever to melt. It's still been too cold at night, I guess. I've been riding my bike again, but the trail conditions are still pretty bad. The girls have been riding their bikes; Ivy shifting from her old classic to a sweet new ride this week.
- Ezra's been coming into his own the last couple of weeks, sleeping a bit better (or at least more consistently, usually getting the bottle around 2am, then nursing at 4:30ish) and asserting himself. Tannis has cut the dairy from her diet and his eczema is improving. A few recent photos of His Royal Cuteness: not so sure, big tear, jolly jumpin', and getting a ride from Ivy
- Lots of art going on around here. We stocked up on supplies at Opus in Kelowna last week and dug into them a bit. Tannis has been experimenting with really cool Chinese calligraphy and watercolour styles, even applying them beautifully to the outdoor rink scene. Ella admired Tannis's trees and made a similar attempt; Ivy also gave it a try. I laboured over my first attempt at drawing a more realistic human figure (nudity warning), and didn't hate the result. I was working from a very small photo of this sculpture.
- Most of the rest of the photos in that set are artsy or scenery shots I took, including a few favourites: shadow sisters, orchard birds, and lakeview orchard.
- Last weekend Mom made us a feast and we stayed overnight in the Big City. In the morning we explored some old haunts, hitting Mission Creek Park, Opus, the downtown library and the Bohemian Cafe. Felt like a great little mini-vacation.
- Mom also made these incredible valentines for the girls this year, mailed to them in fancy envelopes with beautiful stamps.
- Hung out with the Hildebrands a few times; good visits in their hot tub and up here. Finally had Robin, Kaili and Jaia over here for dessert one night. Also, I've been enjoying hooking up with work friends for lunches at Mon Thong when I go into the office (once every couple of weeks, lately). Ivy still has a busier social schedule than I do, though...playdate after playdate, it seems.
- My mom's Uncle Henry died last week. I didn't know him very well, but I cried and cried when I found out. Just seemed so sad, and I guess I was pondering mortality. I kept playing Night Windows and feeling melancholy. Tannis and I sat with Uncle Henry and Aunt Hilda at a wedding a few years ago and liked them very much. He was one of those real zest-for-life types, and someone you thought should live to be 100. Cousin Nicole had a nice reflective post about it as well.
Update: Forgot to note the nice little trio of Ella photos: hangin' with the alpacas, being chased by her shadow and fooling around on the run-bike because I didn't have time to help her with her "real" bike right at that moment. Also, a rare pair of photos of me looking totally hockey-hoser, and proof that I put the girls straight to work when they think they're going to get to do some fun skating.