Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday's Weekend Wrap-up


I'm going to go ahead and pronounce this past weekend top notch. We were coming off a bit of a blah week (sick Ivy, restless Ezra, sleepless parents) and needed a stellar weekend. Bill came up Friday to begin the festivities, and Lorne joined us later for a very cozy session of catching up by the fire. You'd think we were living in the 1800s or something, but it was fantastic. Good laughs and everyone humoured me when I started making obscene gestures to illustrate a point with melodramatic flair.

Saturday morning saw us enjoying coffee and scrambles at the Beanery while Sam and the girls coloured. At noon Richard and I headed out for the first mountain bike ride of the season and had a total hoot, despite there still being several inches of snow on the upper part of the loop. Later in the afternoon, we all went out tobogganing and had a fire -- the photo below is Bill and Sam with their race faces on, ready to decimate the competition. Super fun and warm, with the snow disappearing fast.

Sunday morning we bade farewell to the Baker Boys and then scooted up to Faulder for some skating action on the Dueck's Best Backyard Rink Ever. It was just cold enough to keep the ice from turning into a giant grey Slurpee, so the kids were happy to play around on the ice and we didn't bother with a fire.

Update: Forgot to record the Mennonite feast on Thursday night with the Hildebrands, featuring vareniki my mom made special for us. Lorne was in his glory.

6 comments:

Kaili said...

Fun! Looks like yous guys had a rad week end!

Vicki said...

It's fantastic that you guys manage to keep so active. We're still a little sluggish with the baby. Can't wait for spring...

Tannis said...

If it makes you feel better Vicki I didn't go for a bike ride, didn't make it outside to tobaggan for more than 5 minutes and sat on my butt watching while the others all skated. I did play hockey later on that day though so I did get some exercise in the end.

Jeremy said...

Just to be clear: I go insane in winter if I don't do stuff outside, but I can't always take off on my own...so I tend to drag everyone else along on these things whether they want to or not. And usually they thank me, but not always.

But yes, we're also very sluggish these days, which makes me panic once in a while like I did yesterday afternoon, when I just had to escape on my bike before dark. It's like an addiction.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blogging. We get starved for word and pictures from home. Not that we're suffering, with the sun, frequent rain showers and cool breeze blowing. Skating and snow, spending time out of doors sound great. Pearl

Jeremy said...

Glad you've been enjoying the infrequent updates here Pearl. Sounds like pretty good livin' down there, too.