Monday, February 04, 2008

Birthday Weekend


35 years old -- can't really claim "early 30s" any more, so now I'll attempt to milk the "mid-30s" label until the day before my 40th birthday. I don't have much age angst, but these milestone birthdays do get you thinking about mid-life; crisis or not. A great weekend kept me from dwelling on any potential regrets or missed opportunities.

Lorne, Andrew and Peter took me out for beers at the Perch late on Friday. Although the closed kitchen couldn't bake us any nachos after 10, they at least didn't kick us out at 11. This is a group of guys I don't often talk about, but every couple of months we hook up for what usually turns into a couple of hours of intense conversation, and it's become something I value a lot. Andrew's wickedly smart and insightful, Peter brings a very grounded, straight-up perspective, and Lorne would probably say something about how much he relishes the fellowship of his friends -- it might be his ideal setup, and he's the point-man for the whole operation.

I got to sleep in on Saturday, a rare treat for sure. We hung around with the kids through the morning, and Lorne and the girls came over for a quick toboggan session later in perfect weather. My mom and dad came to take care of the kids while Tannis and I zipped out to Theo's in Penticton for some great Greek. Sunday I drew with the girls, and in the afternoon we skated at the Dueck's perfect Faulder rink. A few beers, watched some hockey, and then I guess we stayed long enough that they made us supper...pretty ideal for me.

10 comments:

Lesa said...

Schöne Geburtstag, viel Glück!!!

Nikki and Shane said...

Happy Birthday Jer! I hear you on the milestone birthdays ...

Slightly off topic: that sketch is killer. It's so cool that you draw with the girls. I don't know if you drew much before so I won't assume anything, but Shane used to draw a lot when he was younger and from what I've seen is quite good, just like you.

I bought a ton of drawing supplies for him once Christmas hoping he'd "take it up" again. No dice. Now I'm thinking though with Palmer in a few years there might be hope yet :)

Jeremy said...

Danke, freundlich frau!

Jeremy said...

Oh, thanks, Nicole. I'm not sure why I've been interested in getting into drawing lately -- I guess it's always been something I wished I could do, instead of just doing it. It's quite fun -- the hard part is sitting down to do it, and the girls' interest in art certainly helps there.

Kaili said...

Happy Birthday!

evan said...

Happy birthday! In my house, mid-30s starts at 34 (that is, until i hit 34, and then it starts at 35).

Garth said...

Happy B-day Jer! I'm just a month away apparently...mid thirties sheesh! Dallas & I were facebooking each other about how wacky it is where we've ended up in life - never would have dreamed it back in our nort' days. I have a student who I thought was at least forty and found out we were two days apart in age...

Jeremy said...

Thanks, all. I guess that's what I get for posting it on the blog...thanks to those who called and e-mailed and MSN'd as well.

Vicki said...

Well, Happy belated birthday! We share a month...I myself am entering my thirties in two weeks. I am by far the 'baby' of all our friends.

I constantly forget that the perch exists. I haven't been there in years. I should have sent Donovan down there to buy you a drink...

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Vicki. I always used to forget about The Perch too...in fact actively made fun of it because I thought it was a bit of a dump. Aside from recent issues with the kitchen closing ridiculously early and having them pull "last call" at 11pm on a weekend night, our repeated visits have generally been good experiences. Big pints, reasonably priced...no proper microbrews on tap, sadly. And yes, you should have...I rarely turn down an offer of a free beer.
: )