"quiet, independent, and private; logical and unemotional; creative, ingenious, and innovative, global thinkers; curious and driven to increase their competence; casual, and adaptive; nonconforming and unpredictable."My list of suggested careers and the advice on how to love me (it's not easy, apparently) seem pretty close, too. Googling INTP yielded all kinds of interesting things -- this INTP profile literally had me laughing out loud and shaking my head at how spot-on it was for me, like reading a psychoanalyst's report on me after five years of intensive therapy.
A lot of people make fun of these quizzes as being glorified horoscopes, but I think they're good tools to get you reflecting about who you are and how you're perceived. Last time, Heather and I found out that our Myer's-Briggs types are the exact opposite. We still manage to get along fine, and it was also interesting to note that her type is the most common one and mine is quite rare. So I'm the freak.
Anyway, I thought I'd copy Marc's idea to get some involvement here -- a bit of an assignment for you to join the fun.
Update: A running tally of willing participants so far...
- Me: INTP, scarily accurate
- Heather: ESFJ, bang-on
- Tannis and Pearl: INFP, and both mother and daughter see it as a good match
- Larry: ISFJ, which he didn't think was a good match (based on the profile in the quiz), but this sounds like a very accurate description to me
- Anonymous Lurker: ENTJ, self-reported as "painfully accurate", and as she has now privately de-lurked, we can vouch for the "external" accuracy as well
- Jason: ISTP, ISTJ, INTJ? We couldn't figure it out last time, and still can't -- perhaps a complex personality crossing conventional boundaries.
- My mom: INTJ, looks like a spot-on match, capturing her creativity, competence, and a bit of her combative side
- Esther: Feels like an ISTJ, but might look more like an ESTJ to others, maybe especially in the working world?
- Kaili: ESFJ, which she says is "right on the nail" ...and interesting to note that her man Robin is the same, shooting big holes in the "opposites attract" theory
- Crystal: ISTJ, which she thinks is pretty close, and her husband is solid INTJ, The Scientist -- pretty similar types.
- Gwen: ISFP "The Artist", which rings true for her (and I agree)
- Nicole: ENFJ, which sounds just right to her (and to anyone who knows her, I suspect)
- Lesa: ISFJ, and sadly I don't know her well enough to comment on the accuracy...I might have thought more extroverted
- Bill: ENFP, which suggests the exact careers he's successfully pursued, so it can't be too far off
- Plett: After trying on ISTP, settled on INTP (same as me?!), although I thought ISTJ might fit ok too. Another cross-type sort of fella.
- Angella: ENFJ, which she agrees with, and she may need to follow her calling to be a journalist.
- Evan: INTJ, "The Scientist", which should make sense considering she just got her PhD after years of research.
- Garth: ENFJ, joining a few other fun-loving extroverts on the list (he says it is spot-on).
- Andrew: INTP, same as me, and after getting to know him over a year or two (and many a beer), it doesn't surprise me.
- Marj: ENFP, and the profile looks very accurate, especially the good stuff.
- Ang: ENFP, just like Marj, which I never would have thought of before...but it makes sense (three of my favourite people in the world are apparently ENFPs). But what about Steve-O?
- Jess: INTJ, and it sounds like that's been consistent for her (she says, "INTJ, as always").
- Lisa: INFJ, which she says has parts that are "scarily dead-on", and I thought the work part was exactly her.
- Nada: INFP, same as Tannis, and they both think it's a pretty good match.
- Lorne: ESFP, which I predicted accurately beforehand -- Lorne has a very strong sense of who he is and this is it.