Sunday, March 16, 2008

Time Capsule and The Film Experiment

We got this photo developed today. How's that, you say? I know, currently-six-year-old Ivy looks about one year old. A couple of weeks ago I found two old films in a box of junk. One of them turned out to be Ivy's from a camera she got in in a Rice Crispies box -- not the greatest photographic find.

However, the second roll was apparently from my first Minolta SLR at least five years ago, an XG-M if I remember right. Not sure why I never bothered to develop the film, but it sure was neat getting a little blast from the past like that, especially as a surprise. Can't believe how much that kid has grown up since then. I think this was from a trip to Big White; looks like it might be taken in the Happy Valley Lodge, but I can't quite figure out when exactly (this was in the olden days before the blog became my offboard memory.


At the same time, I developed my first roll of film since my Luddite Declaration a couple of weeks ago. Since deciding to get back into it, I had two setbacks: Eric's Photo Lab in town decided last week that they're not developing film any more, and one of the two lenses I got on eBay has weird spiderwebby lines inside it. But...getting this roll of film back today erased any disappointment. Our digital camera is all right, but seriously, the image quality of the photos is astounding compared to prints from digital. These two photos are bad digital recreations of the excellent prints because I don't have the gumption to fight with our scanner right now, but anyway...you get the picture.

For those of you who know Marj's family, doesn't that top-left photo of Ivy and Ella look like it might be Jen and Katie about 20 years ago? Suuuper cute. Also, Tannis is gorgeous, Ezra's such a turkey, Imogene's a doll, and Angelo looks like one of those movie-star dads you might see on Entertainment TV.

7 comments:

Tannis said...

Yes, thank you, yes, yes and yes, he does!

Angelo said...

I'll take that as a compliment...

Jeremy said...

Indeed, it was meant to be. Quite a couple, you two.

J&K's Mama said...

I see the resemblance for sure and may they be as lovely in every way in 20 years from now as Jen and Kate!

Jeremy said...

Do you really see it too, Marj? I wasn't sure if you would, being so close to them. I think Ella especially looks like Katie did when she was a little older. And yes, just imagine if my girls could turn out to be as lovely as your beauties. Fun to think about.

Nikki and Shane said...

Jer I totally agree on the Jen & Katie resemblances. It's uncanny really.

Jeremy said...

Isn't it? I thought it was pretty neat.