Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom


I realize that I often refer to the woman in this photo as Grandma, or as part of a unit called "my folks", both references that make her sound like someone else's distant relative...but of course this is the one relationship that has most defined who I am.

Never mind creating me from scratch, which is really too incredible for further comment. I now have a keener appreciation and respect for the difficulty and importance of the parenting role, and I'm grateful for her guidance and patience through those dependent years. But when I think of my mom now, I think of our current friendship and her uncompromising love for me and my family; a constant source of strength and stability.

We're all lucky that our moms brought us into the world, but I'm feeling extra lucky that I also got a great friend in the bargain.

No comments: