Thursday, May 15, 2008

Tokyo Police Club


Tannis and I busted out to the big city (ok, it was actually Kelowna) last night to see Tokyo Police Club at the Habitat. They were fantastic. I haven't been a fan for very long, but these guys hooked me hard. The venue was interesting, too -- good all-ages crowd, nice vibe, decent sound, and they even served us some very nice St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

But the band, the BAND I tell ya...simply awesome. I love their recorded music, but they rocked way harder in concert, with a loose post-punk edge I hadn't expected. They tore through a set including all of my favourites, all goosebumply good. If you've never heard these guys, here are a bunch of videos to give you a taste: In a Cave, Tesselate, Nature of the Experiment, and Be Good (live performance, which gives a more accurate sense of what we saw last night).

For some reason I just had to go to this show. I can't really whine about no bands ever coming here if I don't bother going when they do stop on their way from Calgary to Vancouver. I guess part of it is that it's so far outside of the normal inward-focused family life that has been all-consuming lately -- it made us feel free and young and perfectly impractical.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Glad to hear it was a good show, Jeremy.

Jeremy said...

I think you would have really enjoyed it, Andrew -- I should have leaned on you a bit to join me.