Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Fisher King

Although I had gone into the video store specifically to get something I hadn't seen before, 20 minutes of searching yielded nothing fitting that description, so I got this old favourite. I thought it might be right for my mood, and I was right. It's shmaltzy and over-the-top at times (it is Robin Williams after all, and his character is explicitly deranged, giving him even more license to be ridiculous), but it's still got impact where it counts. I like stories of transformation, where people have legitimate obstacles to overcome, and although The Fisher King is perhaps a little too tidy in how everything wraps up, it's also got a real human warmth that I will continue to appreciate.

In other news, I'm a week into my two-month parental leave, which is really just too awesome. The weather's getting nice too. I baked bread this morning, spent lots of time reading with the kids (Ivy was sick this week), got my hands dirty in the garden and just relished not having to do too much.

6 comments:

Angelo said...

It's one of those rare films that bears up under repeat viewings. I think Robin Williams' performance seemed more remarkable at the time of its release because he hadn't shown us much in the way of dramatic roles at that point. And looking at most of his work since then, maybe he would've been better off to leave well enough alone.

Jeremy said...

Yes, you're probably right. For most of the film, he basically gets to be Mork from Ork (which he does exceptionally well), but then also shows some pretty good range in other parts. I loved him in Good Will Hunting too, but one of my friends recently wrote that one off as "so contrived...".

Thankfully, the Fisher King isn't really a Robin Williams movie -- Jeff Bridges is fantastic, and his girlfriend is really great too.

Andrew said...

Fantastic film - but then I like pretty well everything Terry Gilliam has put to film.

Sorry to hear I missed a Perch session this week!

Anonymous said...

Looking for something you haven't seen before; I'll recommend Brick and The Lookout. Both feature that kid from 3rd Rock from the Sun, which isn't my idea of a ringing endorsement, but they're pretty good indie-ish films. You could do a lot worse. The Lookout was shot in Winnipeg/Toba now that I think about it. I enjoyed both.
Plett

Jeremy said...

Hey Andrew, sorry you missed the Perch session as well -- would have been great to have you there.

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Plett. Homeside Video in Summerland doesn't have the best indie selection (ok, none), but I'll take a look for these.