Thursday, August 28, 2008

Randoms

No coherent thoughts to craft into a proper post, but here are a few notes:
  • I've been adding photos to my film set on Flickr -- enjoying the old Minolta and getting some great shots out of it. I'm trying not to use the fisheye lens for every single picture.
  • Totally got into Saints of Big Harbour by Lynn Coady. Small-town-coming-of-age story set in the Maritimes, maybe a bit like A Complicated Kindness, but written powerfully through several characters instead of just one. I don't spend enough time reading fiction.
  • Enjoying Far Flung Adventures, three fun chapter books for kids. I got them for Ivy but we're all plowing through all three...sometimes out loud, and sometimes on our own. 50 books out from the library right now, which although excessive, is normal for us.
  • Our good friends the Hildebrands are moving back to Altona this fall. I'm not ready to say much about this yet, but I'm grieving. Sucks when friends move away.
  • Nine Inch Nails are coming to Kelowna in December. Stoked.
  • We dug our first potatoes out of the garden today, preparing to devour them for supper.
  • I got flat tires on three rides in a row. Usually I might get three in an entire season. I finally broke the streak yesterday with a flat-free ride up and down Giant's Head at lunch. Tannis and I rode in Crawford on the weekend, which was surreal and kinda neat -- unfortunately a couple of hundred blown-down trees made the downhill trail almost impassable...not so fun.
  • We're homeschooling both girls this year. This will require a separate post next week, but we're pretty excited about it.
  • Hit Pioneer Market for spudnuts and lunch on Saturday, then Bliss Bakery and finally Greata Ranch for some wine on the patio (photos in that same set) -- fun drive home from my folks' place.
  • I'm struggling to get back into the groove at work. No surprise, coming back mid-summer.
  • Missing the prairies, like I always do this time of year. Would love to spend a couple of weeks puttering around back roads, Milt's motocross track and Corydon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I told you you'd regret not coming out to see NIN in wpg.

There's always room in at least one prarie house for a visitor. Bring Ez.

I'm not sure this was a needed comment, but with 3 in a row sitting empty, I had to give you some pity.
Plett

Anonymous said...

prairie.
next time I'll prufreed.

Chris said...

you won't regret the decision to deepen your life of learning with the kids. always remember that we\re happy to ride shotgun with you...resources, advice, stories, mutual projects...we got you back. email skype, phone, visit anytime.

Teri said...

Good luck with homeschooling! I think it's an awesome decision! I would love to do that with my boys but I know they are better in the public school system. I've tried helping Zach with reading, etc. this summer and I'm just not a teacher. And he has so much fun at school. We'll just see how things go over the years, but I love that you guys will be doing it!

Jeremy said...

Plett, I did regret it...but the band coming here sorta negates that. Thanks for the invite and the blog pity. A me-and-Ez trip might be kinda fun, and cheap too.

Jeremy said...

Hey Teri, thanks for the note. I think a lot of people (us included, when we sent Ivy) assume that school is the best place for their kids because they don't understand the alternatives, or don't believe they're capable...or don't question the basic assumptions about what kids should learn (and how). I'm planning to post a bit more about this soon, as it's pretty huge for us.

Jeremy said...

Thanks so much, Chris. As it's all pretty new to us, we're feeling our way into it with excitement and some fear...so your encouragement is most welcome, and your modeling of a better lifestyle will continue to inspire.

We've decided to try our district's home learner's program to start with -- so we'll have some curriculum, a facilitating teacher, class one day a week, and lessons/field trips. More structured than what you guys do, but I could see us moving in that direction sooner rather than later.

Teri said...

I'm looking forward to reading more about it! And hearing how it goes this year.