Thursday, August 07, 2008

Sun Peaks


We wanted to have one more little getaway before my last (ever) parental leave ended. We considered going back to Nakusp, but thought that might be more fun in fall. Silver Star was a nice closer option, but something prompted me to check out the web site for Sun Peaks, a ski resort north of Kamloops that does mountain biking and golf in the summer. It looked pretty cool, and we had never been there, so we booked in for a couple of nights at Nancy Greene’s Cahilty Lodge (even rode the elevator with the namesake Olympian). It was fantastic to get two adjoining rooms, one with a full kitchen – we’re a full-sized crew these days and needed all the space.

I guess I was most excited about the mountain biking, and it didn’t disappoint. Tannis and I traded riding and childcare days so we both got a chance to ride exclusively downhill as much as we wanted. Quite a luxury to be whisked up to the top of a mountain with your bike without the cardio pain of climbing. The trails are rated like ski runs so you can choose the right level. Ideally, that would mean that you’d start out a bit easier and work your way up in difficulty, but I’m apparently not that smart.

I started with a black diamond called Sweet One. Most of it was sweet, too, but much of was brutally steep, rooty and nasty. Later I figured out that I could have more fun on the less-nasty blue runs, one of which (Route 66) was groomed with huge berms and mellow tabletops. At one point on that first run, I came around a corner and passed within eight feet of a black bear sitting right beside the trail. I had no choice but to keep rolling, but it gave me a bit of a scare and I was shaky – so a couple of corners later, I came into a steep, rooted section way too fast and did a classic Superman endo, pretzelling my seat and landing hard on my shoulder. My first thought was, “I don’t have time to be injured. Better get further away from that bear.” Had the iPod cranking, and just gave ‘er…

Anyway, it was seriously fun, and I pushed myself pretty hard. By about 3pm, I was completely shot, having done maybe eight runs. We headed to the pool with the kids and put in a two-hour session, well pruned by that point. We went out to eat a few times, cooked in the room a couple of times and brought in pizza one night. Pretty relaxing overall. Tannis put in her day of mountain biking the next day and had a run-in with a bear on her first run too – it forced her to climb back up to the last branch in the trail to avoid it. Other than that, sounded like she had a blast.

Ezra was ok overall, not much enjoying the drives, but game to do his thing on foreign ground. The girls rode their bikes in the village with mixed success – there were some ups and downs and their lack of gears was a minor issue. They were good sports, though, and Ella pronounced the trip the “best ever”. They both got to try the bungee trampoline near the bottom of the main chairlift, which seemed to be a thrill. Of course the pool and hot tubs were highlights as well. I didn’t bother to do much documenting for a change, so there’s not much to show for it except some nice memories.

The place itself is nifty, and the village has been beautifully built around a cobblestone pedestrian walkway, with restaurants, cafes and shops along the ground level. We liked just walking through to get what we needed from "town" and not having to get into the car for a few days.

6 comments:

Tannis said...

Ah...sweet Route 66. I second the notion that the suite was not only awesome but essential. A trip with poor sleep = a not so fun trip.

Jeremy said...

...which we knew from Vancouver, and every other time we've tried to stay in a regular hotel room with our entire tribe. It's pretty much a necessity now unless we're trying to not have a fun trip.

Angelo said...

We're booked for a trip to Sun Peaks in September... glad to hear it's up to snuff.

Jeremy said...

Serious? Is it a work thing for Esther, or just for fun?

Angelo said...

The trip is an unprecedented Isaak family initiative. Which means there'll be built-in childcare!

Jeremy said...

Whoa! Too awesome...you guys will have a blast up there, I bet. We thought it was a pretty neat place -- no Whistler, I suppose, but gets the job done.