- Had a great visit with Bill and Sam and inexplicably took no photos. We hung out here Friday night and let the kids stay up late, hit the Beanery for breakfast and kicked around the yard most of Saturday. The Hildebrands hosted us that night, too.
- We're careful about what Ezra eats, but it would seem cruel to deprive the guy when there are fresh-baked cookies on the counter.
- We regularly haul in a modest pile of veggies like this from the garden in the afternoon and turn it into a nice soup, wrap filling or pasta dish. Potatoes are coming out now, and carrots aren't far behind. We've got some very pretty pumpkins too.
- The canning effort has continued: more peaches, peach chutney, a batch of fresh salsa (frozen without cooking), a batch of cooked salsa, a couple of batches of plum jam...will have to do an inventory yet, but the freezer and pantries are getting full.
- Many of our flowers are in decline now as the nights have cooled, but there are still lots of pretty spots on the yard.
- I re-read The Chrysalids on the weekend -- fantastic novel, quick to read and pretty intense. Couldn't believe we had studied it in fundamentalist-Christian territory in Grade 8. Mom says she thought maybe one parent had complained the whole time she taught using it...couldn't believe more hadn't objected, but I guess most never bothered to actually read it.
- These sisters are still wicked cute.
- Ezra's recent milestones: being weaned and not taking a bottle at night, throwing valuables into the garbage can, attempting to eat non-valuable semi-edibles out of the garbage can, saying "no" while shaking his head (whenever possible), regular escape attempts from the house (he appears to be heading toward town), and occasionally following simple instructions. Poor dude has been sick this week, stretching our patience further than normal.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008
always amazing here -- hot, calm, mellow and with fewer tourists crowding everything up -- except this year. It was cooler, windy, and we had more thunderstorms than I remember since moving to the Okanagan. So far, September has been a nice turnaround, and we've been back to enjoying the beach, despite the chilly water. A few notes and newish pics: