Saturday, September 06, 2008

Wild Horses


I've had a couple of great rides this week, one with Richard and one alone where I took some photos. This is the best time of year to mountain bike, with the trails in perfect shape, and the temperatures not so hot.

Richard had me howling with laughter through one section -- laughing so hard I nearly crashed myself out. Usually I struggle to keep up with him on the climbs, and then he follows me at a distance on the descents, but through this section I pursued him through a nice long, twisty downhill with lots of tricky bits. His Cannondale was in the shop, so he was rockin' his old Kona titanium hard-tail with cross-country tires pumped up to about 60psi for the road. And he went flying into this section with way too much speed and just kept it right on the edge the whole way down; rocks making his wheels ping and pop as he pinballed through them, steering more with body language than conventional steering, both wheels skidding into the turns counter-steering like an old-school flat-tracker, covering territory like a terrified jack rabbit. A memorable performance indeed, and reminiscent of my brother Ryan's rank downhill attacks on his old clapped-out Norco.

The solo ride was fantastic too, but for different reasons. Perfect 24 degrees and sunshine, trout creek rushing below, apples ripening in the orchards, touches of vertigo looking down into the canyon...I was in a thankful space and loving life. I also ran into a small group of wild horses and got some photos of a beautiful mom 'n foal pair. This guy wasn't so sure about me. Anyway, wild horses had me thinking of one of my top-five songs off one of my few desert-island albums:
"Who's gonna ride your wild horses?
Who's gonna drown in your blue sea?
Who's gonna taste your salt water kisses?
Who's gonna take the place of me?"

Wild Horses, U2

2 comments:

BobbyRisigliano said...

Great pics Jer. Although the Title actually reminded me of my top five 80's songs:

As the sun goes down on the arizona plain
And the wind whistles by like a runaway train
Hey hey hey its a beautiful thing
Well its me and you and a flatbed truck
My heart kicking over like a whitetail buck
Hey hey hey in the middle of spring

You can cut me deep
You can cut me down
You can cut me loose
Dont you know its okay
You can kick and scream
You can slap my face
You can set my wheels on a high speed chase
Hey no matter what you do

Wild horses could not drag me away from you
Wild horses could not drag me away from you

As the sky falls down from the midnight blue
Spittin like bullets on a hot tin roof
Hey hey hey its a beautiful sound
Well its me and you in a flatbed truck
In a foot of mud just my luck
Hey hey hey a hundred miles out of town

You can call me a fool
You can call me blind
You can call it quits
Cant hear a word you say
Cause if I had you once
Im gonna have you twice
Im gonna follow my heart instead of good advice
Hey no matter what you do

Wild horses could not drag me away from you
Wild horses could not drag me away from you

-Gino Vanelli

Jeremy said...

NICE! I loved (love) that song too. Looks to be better lyrics than the U2 tune.