Thursday, October 02, 2008

Planet Earth

We had three weeks to enjoy the complete DVD set for Planet Earth, and it's so good that I was tempted to pile up late charges at the library to keep it longer. Not sure I love it enough to lay out $65, but really that's probably a bargain. The cinematography is jaw-dropping throughout, with moments you really can't believe...even after rewinding and reviewing. The sheer beauty and majesty of the natural world seriously brought tears to my eyes over and over.

Tannis also got the girls to weave it into their home learning and they had no trouble paying attention for each hour-long episode. Anyway, a masterpiece! Thanks to my old workmate Brett for tipping me off last year. I remember him showing me the ultra-slow-motion scenes of the great white sharks launching out of the water in pursuit of seals (sorry, not so impressive on YouTube), and knew immediately that I had to see them all.

10 comments:

Kaili said...

We LOVE it too! Our friends own it and we sadly haven't finished it. But were blown away by it! Love those crazy dancing birds! We were laughing SO hard! Also LOVE how they show you how they got all the shots! Incredible!

Jeremy said...

Totally, eh? Photogeeks like us probably appreciate some of that process stuff even more than normal.

Cloudscome said...

I came here from 7 Imp. We got this DVD out of the library too. I didn't watch it yet but my little boys did and they were much impressed that the little goose chicks got eaten... by a fox was it? Horrified them. My three year old couldn't stop talking about it.

Love your photos. I want to follow you on Flickr.

Jeremy said...

Hey, thanks for dropping in cloudscome. My girls like the chase scenes, and don't mind the captures...but understandably didn't want to watch the actual eating scenes.

Vicki said...

Now we have to get a hold of it! We have been talking about borrowing or buying it for some time now. I guess you're the straw that's finally going to break the camel's back:)

BobbyRisigliano said...

Yeah 2 things not mentioned yet:
1) Swimming Monkey's! JEREMY c'mon its SWIMMING MONKEY'S???? I dare you to name me anything cooler in the entire world. Its SWIMMING MONKEYS!
2) Now I don't know if you guys have cable TV? most likely not im thinking. But if you get a chance to see the new commercial for the Discovery Channel, its one that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

The Squirrel Hunter said...

Library. Hmm, what is this place you speak of? Sounds like a thicket of falsehoods.
pleeep.

Jeremy said...

I know, I know...and I did ponder referencing specific scenes, but seriously, there are HUNDREDS of amazing ones -- how to pick 'em? Each episode has several mind-blowers, never mind each disc...never mind the whole box. It's nuts. But yes, the swimming monkeys were in the upper echelon for sure.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, we had to pick up the DVD set pretty much as soon as it came out - and we've watched it all a few times already. It's just incredible.

Jeremy said...

Nice! Smart to buy it right away. I put it on hold at the library again...so we should get our next viewing in about six months.