Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Consumption

Been listening to:
  • Beck's Modern Guilt -- sounds really good, perhaps stronger than most of his recent material
  • Eddie Vedder's Into the Wild -- surprising project, very solid
  • Ratatat's LP3 -- fun, mostly instrumental tunes...excellent music to work to, and much like their previous work
Been reading:
  • Coeur d'Alene, Flathead and Okanogan Indians by Franz Boas and James A. Teit -- amazing book, an ethnographic account and history of native groups in this region, written before 1910.
  • Savvy by Ingrid Law -- a YA novel, but 7-year-old Ivy adored it, and her 30-something parents liked it almost as much.
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey by Trenton Lee Stewart -- fun escapist reading in the Harry Potter vein (but no magic), targeted to 9-14 year-olds. Possibly even better than the original (review here).
  • The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall -- another kids' book, and also the second in a series. Ivy loved both books, plowing through each in a couple of days, so I read them too -- very folksy, mellow and fun, with a vibe a little like the Narnia series (also minus the magic).
  • Hold On to Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld -- interesting stuff about how we try to connect our kids to their peers to the point where their entire life orientation is toward their friends, pushing them toward independence too early and neglecting our relationships with them. Not an easy read, but eye-opening.
  • Almost forgot, we read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as a bedtime story, and are currently working our way through The Meanest Doll in the World.
Been watching:
  • Almost nothing

10 comments:

Andrew said...

Interesting stuff. That Coeur d'Alene book sounds very intriguing.

I agree about Modern Guilt - it's become my favourite Beck album, with Mutations a close second.

Jeremy said...

Cool...I'm a big Mutations fan as well. This new one is reminiscent of it, but seems more upbeat.

The neat thing about the Coeur d'Alene book is that it's primary research -- the writer was in the field between 1900-1910 and collecting it himself. The writing is also very accessible. Recommended...although I've only read the chapter on the Okanogans so far.

I bet your girls would enjoy The Penderwicks as well -- Hannah for sure.

BobbyRisigliano said...

You knew I couldn't resist. I like to sum up Modern Guilt in the following manner. "Mutations" saw "Midnight Vultures" @ a dingy pub but liked what it saw. The two went home together but got a ride home from Danger Mouse who was later asked to join in to make it a Menage a Trois.

Jeremy said...

ha haha...quite the imagined scenario! I'm still choked that I actually purchased Midnight Vultures on spec, having heard nothing from it. I think we had disagreed a bit on that one, but I consider it a flat-out dud -- only unintentionally entertaining because it was so very bad. But sounds like we both like this new one?

Lindsay said...

A friend of mine recently attended a seminar led by Gordon Neufeld on the topic of that book (she's an elementary school teacher), and she let me know that it was a mandatory addition to my library. Glad to hear another positive review!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

I really want to give Modern Guilt a listen. Good to hear it's getting a thumbs-up from you.

Jules
7-Imp

Jeremy said...

I hadn't heard anything about Gordon Neufeld before picking the book up from the library on a whim. Like I said, it's not an easy read, but I've found it to be very affirming...and also a wakeup call in other areas. Not often a book has this much impact so quickly. Perhaps I'll do an update when I've finished it -- I skipped ahead to the "what to do" chapters, but may go back to read the background too.

Jeremy said...

Jules, I think that if you liked Mutations, you'll probably be into this new one. It sounds smart and fun to me, not as moody. A few weak tracks, but a handful of gems for sure.

Kaili said...

I met Gabor Mate who helped with "hold on to your Kids" He is SUCH an interesting man. I went to his workshop back in January. Life changing! I would recommend ANYTHING he has a part in!

Jeremy said...

Pretty cool, Kaili -- I hadn't heard of him either, but it looks like he's done some great stuff too.