Monday, November 10, 2008

Zin Zin Zin


Ivy had an opportunity through the homelearner's program to join a group of kids learning to play the violin. They're using the Suzuki Method, which encourages parents to learn with their kids and take an active role...so I did. I got a bit of a late start, but I've been to a couple of lessons now and I'm catching up. I love having my musical brain engaged again (and the violin I'm renting is pretty rock 'n roll). The teacher is fantastic.

It's been cool to play with Ivy, although we've been getting on each other's nerves already. She loves playing, and beams with pride when she has success, but she resists suggestions to practice and frequently gets frustrated when things don't come easily. Tonight she refused to even try Mary Had a Little Lamb because it was "too hard" (she didn't know how to play it)...then proceeded to learn it by ear in about two minutes. I hope we can keep finding ways to make it fun so she sticks with it.

Update: My ever-generous mom just got us tickets to see a spring concert by James Ehnes, a Canadian (and Manitoban) virtuoso. Watching him play in this video is unreal; both inspiring and overwhelming for someone just learning to scratch out a dozen warbling notes and trying to combine them into "songs". Wow.

5 comments:

Kaili said...

We all learned piano by susuki method when we were wee ones! real neat learning system! Changes the way you hear everything!
Love that you guys are learning it together!

BobbyRisigliano said...

The coolest rock'n\Roll violin player nowadays is Ptrick Wolf. I did a blog about him. If Ivy gets dettered, maybe give her the rock'n'roll angle.

Jeremy said...

Cool, Kaili. Do you still play at all?

Jeremy said...

That's a good idea, Richard. We'll see how it goes with Ivy -- she likes hearing classical violin too, but it does seem a bit daunting when you're still trying to make three slow notes sound ok.

I downloaded a couple of PW songs after reading your review. I really like Overture...and the strings are quite prominent. I didn't realize he was playing them, though. I need to check out more of his stuff for sure.

Heather said...

Pretty cool!