Sunday, November 30, 2008

Weekender


Weekend notes:
  • Tannis and the girls put up our Christmas tree; a short, scraggly Charlie Brown special that we all like. It smells nice, the girls adored decorating it, and we can imagine that we saved it from being tossed in the wood-chipper unclaimed. Ezra is struggling with the concept.
  • Light-Up was great. The Herman family joined us for food and drinks beforehand, then most of us went into town at 7:30pm to catch Kinship and the fireworks, both of which impressed me -- quick, intense and fun.
  • I got out by myself yesterday afternoon and heard a wonderful band at a local coffee shop (one we had seen in the summer, playing excellent traditional folk songs and Celtic music), then hit a new (and amazing) exhibit at the Penticton Art Gallery. Learned all about prints — woodblock, linocut, etching, screenprinting — and it made me wish all the more that I was an artist. I was so impressed that I thanked the curator.
  • Hit the pool with the kids in the afternoon -- this has become a weekly fall ritual, it seems. They're thrilled, of course.
  • Reading a biography of Stradivarius, the great violin maker (and rented The Red Violin for good measure), and Kenny & the Dragon with Ella.
  • Beers at our place with Lorne and Andrew last night. Only a few weeks now till the Hildebrands move...I'm trying not to grieve in advance.
  • My dad took all the kids out for lunch today so Tannis and I could go on a date. Dreamy. We had gourmet brunch at the Cellar Door Bistro.
  • I've been playing violin every day -- not a creative pursuit I had planned, but it's been good for my soul. Still mostly sounds terrible, but not as terrible as it did.
  • Forgot to note how great it was to hang out with our dear friend Marj the week before last -- so lucky that she comes out here for work.
  • Nine Inch Nails this week! Looking forward to hanging out with cousin Richard, who is coming out for the show.

4 comments:

Ang said...

photo of that tree? sounds pretty sweet.
can't believe how much you guys pack into your weekends.

Jeremy said...

I'm sure Lil' Scraggly will make it into some Christmas photos.

Funny, this weekend didn't feel busy somehow...but it looks that way in the report.

Ang said...

not feeling busy is a good thing!

Jeremy said...

True enough, especially in this season.