Thursday, December 11, 2008

Better Mood from Gratitude


I love this article about practicing thankfulness from the always-excellent PsyBlog -- this rings so true for me. Simply recording things I'm thankful for actually makes me happier, and gives me something to lean on when I'm feeling less thankful.

One of my favourite childrens' book blogs does this every week with their readers, usually combined with a profile of an author or illustrator -- they call them 7 Kicks, and they're up to #92 already. So every week, the co-bloggers each share seven "Exceptionally Fabulous, Beautiful, Interesting, Hilarious, or Otherwise Positive Noteworthy Things from the past week—whether book-related or not" and their readers do the same in the comments. Nifty.

4 comments:

Nikki and Shane said...

Great article! I would tend to agree after nearly a year of stating things I'm grateful for on my 365 day blog. It's bizarre, but true. Makes me think I shouldn't stop at the end of this month!

Jeremy said...

It's great, Nicole. Your regular blog is pretty thankful too.

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Thanks! And, no pressure, but it's not the same now when you don't visit weekly. Honestly, if a regular visitor doesn't list kicks, I start to worry she or he had a bad week, but then I don't want to ask them about it, in case they just wanted a 7-Imp break. Hee.

Anyway, thanks again!

Jeremy said...

Jules, it's those weeks when I struggle to find seven things that I know that I reeeeally need to do it. It's the exercise of thinking it through that's important, I think. The easy weeks are fun too, when all kinds of good (and publicly mentionable) things have happened, but it's those hard ones that really force me to think and be thankful for the smaller things.