Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What's on the Tube?


Cousin-in-law Shane gave me a great Christmas present this year: a list of a few starting points for digging into the best music from Bob Dylan. I had confessed my ignorance, so he offered the gift of knowledge. Most were links to YouTube videos from stripped-down performances in the early '60s, and I got happily lost following related videos until I had blown an hour on ol' Bob. Tons of cool stuff like Don't Think Twice, It's Alright.

And isn't YouTube just unreal? It keeps blowing my mind. Like last week I was looking for something to do with gypsy music because of a couple of cool scenes in The Red Violin, and ended up finding this video for a gypsy band called Taraf de Haidouks. Most of the footage covers a Romanian wedding, and I must have watched (and listened) a half-dozen times, not entirely sure why I loved it so much. I've also been working through excellent violin lessons from Todd Ehle, all free on YouTube. This stuff makes me disproportionately happy.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

No wonder that Taraf de Haidouks makes you happy. Me too.

Jeremy said...

Yeah? Neat...glad you liked it too. The music is interesting, and even the mundane wedding video works somehow.