Wednesday, January 28, 2009

30 Seconds of Childhood



So maybe the title is pretentious, as it is really just 30 seconds of kids skating in the backyard...but I often think of the concept of the idealized childhood. I want my kids to feel safe and loved, connected to good people and nature, learning and experiencing, with lots of opportunities to grow. Same as any parent, I guess. I even put together a set of photos I've taken around the theme a while back (slideshow here). Here's what I wrote about it then:
the-incident
"I think one of the reasons I take so many photos of the kids is because I want to reflect their childhoods back to them, both now and in the future. Maybe subconsciously I want to prove to them later that it was better than they remembered.

Anyway, I started collecting photos that reflect something special about childhood, theirs in particular. Familiar themes -- play, imagination, outside fun, reading, trips -- my taking of the photos and the selection of them around this theme are probably motivated by nostalgia...recreating what I valued in my own childhood. And of course conveniently leaving out the less-than-great parts."

This bonus photo is from Ivy's get together with a friend from her class this week. We happened to have an extra pair of skates, so they spent a happy half-hour zooming around out there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in awe of the girls' skating ability. At this rate they'll catch up with their mom and join the hockey team soon. Really neat little rink. Great job Jer. Larry

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Larry. Their skating really took off this fall, especially Ella's. The skating loop started out pretty bumpy, with some ups and downs that were pretty challenging -- I wonder if this kinda forced them to take it to the next level.

emmaco said...

I can't believe you actually have a ice skating track in your backyard! Your kids are so lucky - both for the whole ice thing but also for having these lovely childhood moments recorded.

Like Little Willow I'm from a place that never even had frost so this looks extremely exotic to me.

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Emmaco. Of course it seems like the opposite of exotic to us, but it's fascinating to see it through other eyes.