Monday, January 05, 2009

Strengths (and Weaknesses)


It seems to be the time of year for reflection, and I revisted a Personality Strengths Survey thanks to a nudge from Psyblog. There's no real magic to these things; you tell them what you think of yourself, and they reflect that back to you in a way that may offer insight. Ideally, you learn to take advantage of your strengths over time and recognize weaknesses as things to improve on or minimize. These results don't explicitly outline weaknesses -- you just look at your lowest-ranked "strengths" (not really a strength if it's 24th in the list).

No surprise that I think I'm curious, creative, value integrity, appreciate beauty, and think critically (from the top of my list). People who know me best wouldn't argue with those too much (although I could be mistaken), and seeing them listed makes me feel like I'm super awesome for a moment. And that tiny ego boost is good, because at the very bottom:
20. Bravery [valor]
21. Persistence [perseverance, industriousness]
22. Citizenship [social responsibility, loyalty, teamwork]
23. Forgiveness and mercy
24. Spirituality [religiousness, faith, purpose]
These ones at the bottom are more...ummm...interesting (ok, painful). Weaknesses might reflect areas you don't value enough to focus on, or they might be things you aspire to, but aren't doing well at. 21 and 22 (Persistence and Citizenship) would fall into the latter category for me -- things I wish I was better at and more involved in -- areas of relative failure because I would like to improve. My persistence in work has been less than impressive and my life has been too insulated to have any impact in areas of social responsibility and teamwork. And who wouldn't want to be considered brave, forgiving and merciful? I've got a long way to go.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Me:
1. Spirituality, sense of purpose, and faith
2. Capacity to love and be loved
3. Perspective (wisdom)
4. Kindness and generosity

21. Creativity, ingenuity, and originality
22. Modesty and humility
23. Bravery and valor
24. Self-control and self-regulation

Jeremy said...

Should we be surprised that we're almost opposites again, Heather?
:)

Heather said...

Definately not too much of a surprise, really (that we would be opposites). I was surprised that Creativity was SO low on my list, considering my artistic ability.