Thursday, February 05, 2009

25 Things


There's this thing flying around Facebook where you write 25 random things about yourself and then tag 25 people to do the same. I initially resisted, but by the fifth tag, I started adding a note here and there as I thought of them -- probably none surprising to people who already know me. To go with the random non-theme, I've decorated with an assortment of unrelated photos from the past two days. I also thought I'd include my taggers in the first five items in the list:

1. Linsey V. -- A friend from work who also works with my mom. She's funny and smart and very good at what she does. Like her, I love my kids' art and think they're geniuses.
2. Heather G. -- We worked together many years ago. She reminds me of Hermione, but not like in the first HP book where her know-it-allness was irritating. Once at a staff party, she got all dolled up and I didn't recognize her, just like Hermione at the ball in The Goblet of Fire. Like her, I often wish I was nicer.
ice-jewel
3. Crystal L. -- Another work friend from the same era as Heather. Like her, I'm best friends with my mom, and secretly hope that least one of my kids feels that way about me in 20 years.
4. Melodie -- I'm lucky to have had good friends at work, and Mel is another one. She's just finishing up work on a feature-length movie script that looks amazing. Like her, I hate the phone.
5. Jennifer H. -- I miss the prairies sometimes and occasionally daydream about what it would be like to live there again. In those visions, this second-cousin is a dear friend who I see all the time. Yet the last time I did see her in real life, we sat at the same table at a wedding and I couldn't think of anything to say. Sigh. Like her, I love classical violin, but never much liked fiddle music (until I started playing).
6. I get emotional at concerts, tearing up and getting goosebumps equally at the symphony or Nine Inch Nails. I try to hide it.
7. With very few exceptions, I don't listen to any music made before 1986. In fact, I listen to almost none of the music I loved through the '80s and '90s, even though I'd still identify some of those bands as favourites.
log-stack
8. Violin is the fourth instrument I've learned -- the first three (in order) were piano, baritone horn and bass guitar. Bass was the most fun, but I never got as obsessed with it as the violin.
9. I used to stay in excellent contact with my old friends with regular calls, e-mails and even (gasp!) mail. When I stopped, many of the relationships have lapsed somewhat. Among my closest friends, the new ones (last decade) are finally getting closer to outnumbering the old ones (measured in decades).
10. I like classic video games and own a sweet Colecovision that works great. Q-Bert, original Donkey Kong, Galaga, Pole Position, Pac-Man...I like the oldies and can't seem to play any of the new games well.
11. I'm terrified of telephones and shopping malls and knives, and drowning in the pools of other lives (stolen from the Weakerthans' Aside).
12. I'm a poseur vegetarian, or maybe just a non-committal meat eater. I love seafood and all Asian cuisine, but don't get enough of either. I cook tomatoes into everything, but don't like them raw.
ice-fan
13. I used to consider myself well-read. In recent years, my reading has been an intermittent hodgepodge of re-read old favourites, the rare fictional gem on a recommendation, hundreds of kids' books, and odd bits of non-fiction. I'd like to read more, and better stuff.
14. I don't watch TV and celebrity-pop-culture tends to make me ill. I love movies, but don't watch them enough...although I don't mind watching the same movie many times if I really like it. I'm addicted to the web.
15. The first real concert I went to was Corey Hart at the Winnipeg Arena, or Bryan Adams...I think I was about 12 and can't remember which came first, but they were both awesome at the time. I don't wear my sunglasses at night.
16. Jobs I would have liked to do: architect, curator, urban planner, professor, sociologist, writer.
17. My second and third toes on both feet are webbed. No, it does not make me a stronger swimmer. I wish swimming fast wasn't so difficult -- I can do one length before clinging to the side, utterly exhausted.
twisty-tree-orchard
18. I've never really liked pets -- and sadly, I've noticed that this makes it difficult for pet lovers to like me. I'm fascinated by wild animals, though, especially raptors and other predators.
19. I don't like being in large groups of people, especially if I'm expected to interact with them. I'm INTP all the way, although I've become more social since moving to Summerland.
20. I didn't really want to be a dad. At one point I said out loud in front of several witnesses that I'd rather have rabies than babies. Despite this, I'm a decent parent and have found unexpected joy in the process.
21. I've spent too much money on my hobbies in the past year. New bike, new camera (plus three lenses), and new violin. Granted, I was patient enough to get bargains on the first two (very gently used and underpriced), but $3000 on stuff to use in my limited spare time seems excessive. This year I'll be frugalish.
22. I'm a good whistler, a trait/skill I inherited from my dad. It's the best instrument because it's connected directly to my brain -- I don't have to think about which notes to make, or how to make them; they just come out sounding good. Unlike the violin.
creeper-vines
23. I get great pleasure out of cooking. The closer the ingredients come from, the better (our garden, preferably). I also wish I was a better host.
24. I didn't like beer, wine or coffee until after university. I was a late bloomer I guess -- they're all treats for me now. Local dark microbrews, local cheap whites (and more expensive reds) and dark roast espresso bring me joy.
25. I'm a slob. Considering that both my parents are neat freaks, I can only assume I've reacted badly to that way of life. I don't even notice that our house is a total pigsty unless someone is coming over.

cliff-deer-orchard-lake

3 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

"A non-committal meat eater" -- I like that. I'm gonna lift that and use it!

I was a vegetarian for ten years. I have never really liked a lot of meats, but I did sorely miss some things (mostly breakfast items -- bacon, sausage, mmm). Then, I got pregnant and craved meat so badly and wanted the protein, so I started eating it occasionally. Still do after four years, and I wonder if I should go back to 100% vegetarianism again. I often think I won't, out of pure selfishness: I'd miss bacon too much.

Jeremy said...

Ha! Sounds familiar, Jules. It's sad that the ones I have the hardest time kicking are the most awful foods: pepperoni, bacon, and sausage (local organic, but still!). Nitrates, salt, preservatives, fat...blech (yum).

BobbyRisigliano said...

As every good cook will attest. "Bacon is CANDY of the meat world." :)