Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Kiss

This is what I love about the process of photography -- it forces me to slow down and see things I'd otherwise miss. I wanted to take a picture of this tiny grape hyacinth, the only one that bloomed in our east flowerbed this year, and found this dramatic scene. A Flickr friend ID'd the spider, which revealed this story:
"The Goldenrod Crab Spider spends much of its time patiently waiting, front legs extended inside or concealed just beneath a flower. When a suitable prey insect lands, the spider swiftly grabs it and pierces it with small fangs right at the neck. Paralyzing venom keeps the insect immobile but with the heart pumping. The unwilling insect is forced to pump its lifeblood straight into the spider."

5 comments:

Kaili said...

That is CRAZY! Great capture! Love that Ella went out shoot with you. Can we hire her some week ends? Haha!

Anonymous said...

What an opportunity to capture that moment with the spider. Wish you had not done the write-up though. It almost turns my stomach seeing the "helpless" bee. Mama Pearl

Jeremy said...

If it's any consolation, I'd say this bee had already been dead for a long time. I think the spider was actually trying to get rid of it so it could use to hyacinth to await its next victim.

Jeremy said...

Yeah, Ella was a great photo buddy. She really enjoys it -- I'll ask her if she wants to do some weddings with you this summer.
:)

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Holy Cow! That is amazing and a great capture!