Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bits of Beauty

Although it's apparently all about the kids all the time these days, I have been capturing little bits of non-human beauty. I haven't gone out to really do photography in a while, more often just throwing the camera in a beach bag on the way out and not bothering to take any pictures.

One of the neatest things was finding a praying mantis in the backyard (the one below), and then finding another one twice as big the next day (the one pictured here, which really must be seen large). This after not seeing one for years!

bee-satellites
I also liked this bee on what I think may be globe thistles, taken on a jaunt with the kids to the Ornamental Gardens. Quick notes about the ones below:
  • Smoke from the Fintry fires, probably 70 kilometers away, just before our soaker rain that seems to have put a good dent in it.
  • A closeup of the smaller praying mantis, looking right at me.
  • Lake reflections at the Summerland pier.
  • More globe thistles, minus the bee.

fintry-fires-smoke-dusk

mantis-head

between-black-and-white

purple-thistle-globes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photography again, especially capturing the praying mantis. Never realized we had them this far north. Enjoying catching up on the news from out west. Pearl

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Pearl. We had at one in our backyard at the townhouse in October '06, and I was shocked -- also had no idea they were around. Then saw one just up the first bit of trail on Giant's Head a couple of weeks later...but I don't think I've seen one since then!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

They're all great, but when you reflect in water or ice, extra-special photography results.

Jeremy said...

Thanks Jules, as always. I was down at the lake this afternoon and an unsettled sky was making such interesting shapes in the waves...but no camera along. Can't always have it attached to my face, apparently.