Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Scorcher


Despite the continuing hot forecast, it feels like the summer is winding down, with cool nights and that extra sparkle on the water as the sun's arc descends. It seems to have gone quickly, yet we probably had our longest summer ever, with the heat starting in May and continuing almost right through. This might be my favourite part of the summer -- everything gets quieter as the tourists head home, and I love sleeping under thick blankets in colder air. The lake is still warm, the beaches are mellow, and the fall mountain biking season begins. The last of the cherries are disappearing now, replaced by incredible nectarines and freestone peaches, early apples and pears. Lots of squash showing up now, along with tomatoes, potatoes and carrots.

2 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

It's warmer here, of course, but I look forward to this time of year, too. And the first mug of hot chocolate on the first cool night. I have friends who tell me I can have hot chocolate in the summer, too, but that seems like a particular kind of blasphemy to me.

Jeremy said...

Actually it looks like our highs are higher than Nashville's...but way lower humidity here in this semi-arid valley. Agreed on hot chocolate in summer -- we often bust it out at the first snow!