Tuesday, October 20, 2009

All Consuming

fall-vineyard
It's been a while since I recapped what's been going into my body and mind. I realize that these things are only interesting to me a year or more later. It also helps me see that I'm not reading anything again. And no, the photos have nothing to do with these words.

Eating
  • Tomatoes as they ripen from the ones we picked green. For the first time in my life, I'm eating raw tomatoes without wincing...at least the tiny cherry versions that hardly qualify as tomatoes.
  • Root vegetables by the pound: beets, sweet potatoes, and potatoes, mostly. 'Tis the season.
  • Soup season! Squash, pumpkin, minestrone, random vegetables, potato-broccoli...we loves our soups around here.
road-through-orchard
Drinking
  • Backyard Beans decaf. I know decaf is blasphemy for true coffee drinkers, but seriously, Richard's decaf is amazing, and I've come to realize that caffeine makes me weird.
  • Shaftebury Coastal Cream Ale -- I guess Sleeman's has owned this microbrewery for a while, and they seem to be positioning this excellent brew as a sort of budget beer, because they inexplicably dropped the price to $8.35/six-pack. But it's just as good (to me) as most of the standard $11 six-packs out there. This is looking like my winter beer of choice.
  • In more adventurous moments, I've recently enjoyed La Fin Du Monde and Sasquatch Stout, both excellent and shared with my kindred-beer-spirit Andrew.
Watching
  • Yo-Yo Ma, Inspired by Bach -- I've got all of these on hold at the library, and have seen one before, but started with Volume 2 this time. Fascinating stuff, including an hour-long film by Atom Egoyan that I thought was great.
    green-curves
  • Music for a New World -- a Vancouver documentary about musicians from different cultural and musical backgrounds who got together to compose and perform a piece of music that reflected all of their diverse instruments and ideas. I was entranced by both the process and product. More background here...(pdf)
  • I continue to be enthralled by the work of cinematographer Ron Fricke, this week digging into his incredible first film Koyaanisqatsi. It's vaguely disturbing and very trippy, with an intense, abstract soundtrack by Phillip Glass. You can watch the entire film here in decent quality, although I wouldn't blame anyone for losing interest quickly -- these films move very slowly, have no dialogue and no plot. Very much like Baraka and Chronos, two of my favourite films of all time for sheer visual beauty. I'm very much looking forward to his next one, Samsara, although it tends to take many years to make these things, so I'm not holding my breath.
  • Nightmare Before Christmas, which has become an annual tradition for us at this time of year. I love this movie disproportionately, and surprisingly it's one of the very few musicals I can even tolerate. The Elfman soundtrack is amazing, and the imagination in the animation never gets old for me.
Listening To
  • Tegan and Sara's new album is streaming on their MySpace page, and it sounds outstanding to me. Maybe a bit more of a So Jealous vibe than the quirky-prog feel of the last one. Gotta decide whether to go see them again later in fall in Kelowna.
  • Other that, I haven't been listening to albums, just my usual flow of new songs, endlessly downloaded, sorted, enjoyed or deleted. Standouts over the last few weeks include Avett Brothers, Sprengjuhollin, Brasstronaut, and going back to old favourites Radiohead and the National. Andrew and I have continued our gmail music exchange, which has been great fun and a source of good tunes.

orchard-slopes

curly-grass

No comments: