Monday, March 22, 2010

The Man Who Planted Trees


I was blown away by the beauty, simplicity and earnestness of The Man Who Planted Trees by Frédéric Back, a Canadian animator who won his second Adademy Award for this short film in 1987. The half-hour short can be seen on YouTube (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3), and our library had a couple of copies as well.

This is probably another one that Steve told me a decade ago that I *had* to watch ASAP. Just for the beauty of the animation alone it's worth watching, but the story is inspiring as well.

4 comments:

Ang said...

my steve?

Jeremy said...

Yes, of course. He of the obscure and amazing film/book recommendations that I tend to stumble across years later.

Is this one that he has already adored since the '80s?

Ang said...

Humbug. I don't recognize the title, but maybe I've seen it in the past. Back in the day, it was all about Spike and Mike's Festival of independant Animation and the NFB. Both legendary sources of strange and wonderful art. But I don't think I've ever seen this title. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out fro sho. Later bro. Stove Pipe.

Jeremy said...

I wonder if I associated it with you because of your long project to plant and transplant trees when you lived in Rosenort? Anyway, if you haven't seen it, I suspect you'd really enjoy it, both for the storyline and art. Let me know if you do track it down -- we got a DVD from the library last week and I thought it was amazing.