Sunday, April 18, 2010

All-Consuming

pottery-glaze-cosmos
My media intake over the past month or so...and no, these photos have nothing to do with the words -- just some eye candy.

Reading:
  • Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell -- fascinating studies debunking the idea of inborn genius, showing that success is largely a result of hard work and being at the right place at the right time. Some blind spots too, but very engaging reading.
  • Summerland by George Ryga -- apparently Ryga was one of Canada's best-known playwrights in the '60s and '70s when he wrote The Ecstasy of Rita Joe. He moved his family to Summerland because it was cheap to live here back then! I need to read more of his history and writings.
  • Living with Intensity: understanding the sensitivity, excitability, and emotional development of gifted children, adolescents, and adults -- a collection of essays that were an real eye-opener for me.

    zucchini-leaf-veins
  • The Everything Music Theory Book -- I'm not starting from scratch with music theory, but the basic bits I learned as a kid are not serving me very well.
  • Lord of the Rings -- I've been reading this to the girls at bedtime each night, and we're maybe a third of the way into Two Towers now. So fun to hear them absorbing it and begging for more.
  • The Hundred Dresses -- wonderful short chapter book that Ella and I enjoyed together.
  • Piles of picture books -- we're back in the stage of cycling through 15-20 picture books from the library every week in addition to our own collection. Ezra has a pretty good attention span for reading so far.

orchard-shadow
Listening:
  • Camino by Oliver Schroer -- this guy doesn't just tug my heartstrings; he bows them into life.
  • Vivaldi -- as much as I can get my hands on...amazing stuff.
  • Pantha Du Prince -- this was a recommendation from Andrew, and I've been really into it...moody electronic instrumental music, smart and powerful.
  • Scratch My Back by Peter Gabriel -- I've always had a soft spot for PG, and when I heard a couple of the songs off this album of covers I thought I'd love it, but it's weak...ponderous and dull, even. However, three or four of the songs seem to have stayed with me, so it's still in rotation.
  • New preview songs from Tokyo Police Club and The National, both from upcoming new albums that I'm anticipating with some excitement.

ice-bubbles-bw
Watching:
  • NHL Playoffs -- no further comment.
  • The Incredibles -- After seeing this one a few times, we finally bought a copy for $10 and watched it again last week. Not sure why I like it so much.
  • Howl's Moving Castle -- not my favourite Miyazaki film, but it's the only one our library has, so we've got it a couple of times. Wonderful art, clunky storyline.
  • The Man Who Planted Trees -- the DVD finally came from the library, and it was gorgeous on a bigger screen. The kids weren't enthralled, unfortunately.

white-crocus

saskatoon-blossoms-orchard

glaze-stripes

three-lip

3 comments:

Redfern Photography said...

I love 'The Incredibles'! I think it makes a really interesting statement about brilliance versus mediocrity, and how society might treat people with superhero powers. Also a really real family dynamic in that movie. Watching it always makes me feel good!

Kaili said...

Oh goody goody, where are THOSE blossoms? Let's go THERE!

Jeremy said...

Agreed, Lisa. The family stuff in there is great, without getting too schmaltzy. Ivy was Violet Incredible (her hero) for Halloween -- her character in some ways has the most interesting progression of any of them. And maybe we all want to believe that there's something special in us that's underutilized, just waiting for the right opportunity to shine?

Kaili, I was scouting out the area I was telling you about, north (and uphill) from Crescent Beach, below the new highway just out of town. Next weekend the blossoms will be awesome.