Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Recent Brain Food

You are what you eat? I think the same applies to stuff that goes into your brain. The flower theme has nothing to do with anything...except spring, maybe. And no, the dandelions in the last photo aren't on our yard.

Listening To:
  • I went to see violist/fiddler Zav RT at the Penticton Art Gallery last week and picked up her CD. She was accompanied by her brother Daniel Huscroft, and they sort of split the set, combining forces doing each other's songs. They played the first tune on his Myspace page ("Gone"), which reduced me to an embarrassing puddle of tears -- he wrote it about their grandmother who grew up in Kaslo, a woman whose only regret at the end of her long life was that she hadn't become a concert pianist. Anyway, really fun show with our friend Aimee (with hubby) and our violin teacher Liz.
  • Yo-Yo Ma, a bunch of Vivaldi's cello concertos played with the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra in 2004...amazing stuff.
  • Jean Pool...Billy Heinrichs sent me a few mp3s from Tom, Mal and Will's old band. So evocative of that era and place, playing music with those guys and feeling like we had all the time in the world.


bleeding-heart-row
Reading:
  • The Ecstasy of Rita Joe...after having read about Ryga a few weeks ago, and sampling his writing, I dug into his most famous play. Trippy and intense, even terrifying at times...but overall confusing and scattered.
  • The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: A Portrait of an Epidemic. Fascinating and heartbreaking reading, with personal stories, historical accounts of senile dementia and Alzheimers, research efforts and approaches to coping with it...highly recommended for anyone curious about the disease.
  • LOTR...almost done Two Towers now as the bedtime project continues. The girls are finding the Frodo-Sam-Gollum stuff less interesting, perhaps because the pace is plodding compared to previous parts.
  • The Black Pearl...a YA novel I read in an hour the other night; bit morbid but cool.


new-wildflower
Watching:
  • The Iron Giant -- such a great movie. We own the old VHS tape, but our VCR finally died, so luckily the library has the DVD. I don't get tired of watching it, and always tear up at the end.
  • Star Trek -- despite the buzz last year, I never did go see it in the theater, but I'm seeing that it was a mistake. Exciting, funny, intense movie with some serious plot holes I was happy to ignore. It's been a long time since I felt like a Trekkie.
  • Still catching bits of the NHL playoffs, including an excellent get-together with the Duecks last night that ended in an ugly defeat for the Canucks.


meadow-death-camus

old-man's-whiskers

dandy

11 comments:

Lindsay said...

Interesting. I recently finished 'Still Alice' - which is also a book about Alzheimers. I might need to check out the book you're talking about, because I'm still churning over everything I read.

Jeremy said...

I've heard of Still Alice -- would you recommend it?

The Squirrel Hunter said...

Ugly defeat for the Canucks? Yes, yes it was. Woohoo! (Hoping for a Hawks/Bruins final - I don't care what it does to my playoff pool)

Someone had Jean Pool music kicking around and converted it - that must have been a neat little treat for you.

And it's ok for a man to cry to music as long as it's the national anthem and your country just won the gold medal in hockey.

Jeremy said...

Hawks-Bruins would be all right. Even if by some miracle, Vancouver ekes out the series win, San Jose (or Detroit, but that's less likely now) will KILL them. Whereas I feel like Chicago could probably win the conference final. But wouldn't they slay Boston?

Yeah, I want to get more Jean Pool stuff. I'll have to pester Billy (and others) some more. Fun listening, mostly for pure nostalgia.

I won't say how often I've got teary listening to music, especially live...total, complete crybaby.

Rob said...

Iron Giant - one of my favourite films I saw it with my kids in a cinema with one other person - says something about popular culrure

Jeremy said...

Very cool that it's a fave of yours too, Rob. I read online that it hadn't done well at the box office -- perhaps people just didn't really get it?

linseyv said...

Ohhhh Iron Giant = one of the best animated flicks EVER. Love it, always cry, still own it on VHS. We are hooped when our VCR dies. :)

I'd recommend Still Alice for sure! :)

Jeremy said...

Another thing for us to have in common then, Linsey...neat! And thanks for the nudge on Still Alice.

Vicki said...

Still Alice is amazing. I have been forced to learn about this recently. I was told by professionals that this book is the best they had read at describing what it is like for the person with the disease. I couldn't put it down. Jeremy you can read my copy if you want. The library has a long waiting list. you're welcome to it. I will check out the book you talked about.

Vicki said...

Still Alice is amazing. I have been forced to learn about this recently. I was told by professionals that this book is the best they had read at describing what it is like for the person with the disease. I couldn't put it down. Jeremy you can read my copy if you want. The library has a long waiting list. you're welcome to it. I will check out the book you talked about.

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the offer, Vicki. I do have it on hold at the library, and tend to be patient with these things...but if I panic and need to read it asap, I'll let you know. Do you know someone with Alzheimer's?