Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Violins of June

Ivy and I have been busy with music over the last few weeks as lessons wrap up for the year. One highlight for me was a duet she and I played together at the spring recital -- a quirky number I had composed specifically for us to try, with her on violin and me with my 5-string viola. I wish I had a video of that one.

I did catch her fiddle tunes at the recital (first and last clips in the first video below). She played with the Fiddlekidz at another recital, and also had a very successful morning busking at the Penticton Farmer's Market, raising a bunch of money for the Academy's bursary fund and some for her pocket as well -- as a bonus, Uncle Mark and Roel got to watch for a bit too.



Last night I got to play at the annual "Adult Recital", hosted at a beautiful home on the Naramata Bench. It's a very supportive crowd, mostly the musicians themselves, and a number of friends we've made, with no hotshot kids or pros to upstage our humble efforts. Our teacher Liz and I had been practicing the violin duet I composed earlier this year, and it was a real thrill to be able to play it and hear it come alive:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting Jer. Absolutely enjoyed each number. So proud of Ivy and especially enjoyed her last solo tune which is very lively and well done. Pearl

Jeremy said...

Thanks Pearl. Ivy really did great at the recital, playing with heart.

Lots of company here and events in the next while, so there may be a flurry of posting once it quiets down a bit.

Heather said...

So cool to see it in action! :)

Heather said...

So cool to see it in action! :) We miss you guys!

Jeremy said...

Heather, it felt like you guys should be out here last week with Jer and Bonnie!