Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Summerland Suite

Although I'm sure I will never be really finished tweaking and fixing, I think my summer music project is pretty much done. The Summerland Suite is a set of six original compositions for string quartet. That link takes you to my project blog, where I kept track of my progress over the past couple of months -- the first post has a summary of the project, as well as links to the mp3 recording (hit play beside any mp3 link) and sheet music for each song. I prettied it up with photos just for fun. Thanks to those of you who have been supportive of my humbling, stumbling efforts.

Update: A wonderful trio of musicians has joined me to perform this piece of music: cellist Martin Kratky, violinist Liz Lupton and violinist Jasper Meiklejohn. We've started rehearsing, and I'm very excited to hear the songs coming alive. We'll play the suite at 2pm, during the gallery opening to my next photography show. We're hoping to make a decent live recording as well -- it will be nice to have proper sounds to go with the scores. Details:
2pm on December 5, 2010
Red Rooster Winery
891 Naramata Road
Penticton, BC

Facebook event page
Okanagan Abstracted book
Red Rooster's featured artists

7 comments:

Nikki + Shane said...

I finally got a chance to check these out today and seriously, Jer, you should be RIDICULOUSLY proud. What a process. I'm quite certain I would never have the dedication, let alone the know-how, to follow through on such a project. Well done!

Jeremy said...

Thanks so much Nicole. It really is a matter more of persistence than anything else...I'm more proud of that than the results themselves. We can accomplish way more than we think we can...

Anonymous said...

Very impressed Jer. Listened to the whole set and amazed at the variety of sounds and interaction of the different instruments. You're right about being able to accomplish more than we give ourselves credit for. well done..
Pearl

Jeremy said...

Thanks Pearl!

Heather said...

I was about to pretty much echo Nikki's entire comment. Great accomplishment! I doubt I'd have that kind of motivation!

Heather said...

I was about to pretty much echo Nikki's entire comment. Great accomplishment! I doubt I'd have that kind of motivation!

Jeremy said...

Thanks Heather. As I'm sure you know from your creative work, it's very rewarding to finish something you've poured yourself into.