Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Reading Watching Listening

Reading:

  • Chased by the Light, documenting a photo project by Jim Brandenburg, where he took only one photo per day for three months in the Minnesota forests near his home. Wonderful stuff, with compelling words and stunning beauty.
  • Photo impressionism and the subjective image -- a bit dated in that it's all for shooting film, but I still found it fascinating and informative. Cool to discover the work of Canadian photographer Freeman Patterson.
  • Souvenir of Canada by Douglas Coupland. Man, what a masterpiece. I need to get a hold of the sequel and the DVD too, as I enjoyed this (again) disproportionately.
  • The bedtime Harry Potter marathon continues. Since we had just seen the movie, we unanimously decided to skip The Goblet of Fire, and are now about halfway into The Order of the Phoenix. Very enjoyable, and the girls always complain when it's time to stop (not really a bad thing, despite my low tolerance for complaint).
  • When it Rains, a novel by co-worker and friend Laura Gabriella. Although she says she'd happily burn every existing copy, I thought it was great -- funny and smart, with a rip-roaring pace.


standout-coil
Watching:
  • Anvil! The Story of Anvil...so awesome. This is what I wrote to Bill (who initially recommended it, I think) about it: "I felt like I was appreciating the film on a few levels: a more authentic version of Some Kind of Monster without the layer of superstardom (although the desire is there for that), self-actualization and the where-are-they-now angle, and even the Canadian vibe in all those wintery Toronto shots. But I guess it comes down to the Rob/Lips dynamic, and I loved all of the family bits. Painful to watch at times, yet I couldn't take my eyes off of it."
  • What Remains: The Life and Work of Sally Mann...a wonderful documentary that was ringing true for me all over the place, getting me stewing about art, beauty, family, life and death. Very intense.


orchard-motion
Listening To:
  • I think Andrew got me listening to soundtracks by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis last year, and it was a great gift. Over the last couple of weeks, their soundtrack for The Road has been weaving itself into my brain. Listen here...
  • Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack -- heavy, dark, intense and surprisingly fun.
  • Mozart Preludes and Fugues "after Bach" -- these are sort of 300-year-old cover tunes, where Mozart arranged and extended melodies by Bach (actual two Bachs) for small string groups. Gorgeous.
  • String Quartets and Duets by Gyorgy Ligeti, a composer I had never heard of before. Five of the pieces on the album blew my mind, and those have been in rotation.


spider-lunch

metal-twist-texture

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw the Douglas Coupland / Emily Carr exhibit at the VAG last weekend. It was fascinating to look at and to listen to (Coupland wrote an imaginary discussion with Emily Carr). I'll have to take a look at Souvenir of Canada.

If you're in Vancouver and it's still on, I recommend it. Hanna saw and listened to it too.
Gwen

Anonymous said...

http://www.vanartgallery.bc.ca/the_exhibitions/exhibit_in_dialogue_with_carr.html

re: Coupland/Carr dialogue.

linseyv said...

Argh! I'm a huge Douglas Coupland fan and I am BUMMED to not have easy access to that exhibit! How cool would that be? Souvenir of Canada is one I haven't read but I am going to put it on hold at the library right now...

Cass said...

I'll take your word on the Coupland masterpiece. I've been looking for some good fiction.

Ang said...

Lars and the Real Girl. I know you guys have'nt seen it because you have yet to give me an ALL CAPS THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE RECOMMENDATION ANG, YOU'RE THE BEST, YOU KNOW ME BETTER THAN I KNOW MYSELF!

Jeremy said...

How the heck did I miss all these excellent comments? Duh...

Gwen, so weird...I was at the VAG the day seeing this show the day your recommendation came in! I thought it was great, although it was a real hodgepodge.

Souvenir of Canada is brilliant nonfiction, a sort of attempt to explain how our country is unique and special. LOVE it...the sequel is good too.

Ang, the blowup doll movie? I'm sorry, but it just sounds so very awful. I've ordered it now despite those misgivings.