skating set on Flickr. A few highlights:
- Our most spectacular skate was on Vaseux Lake just after New Year's. It was incredibly beautiful, and of course I geeked out on ice photos. My mom and dad came along, as well as Myron and Raja and their kids later on. We shot the puck around, explored the shoreline, went to see the swans swimming in the open water, and found interesting things on the lake bottom (even some fish swimming!)...but the real thrill was just to be able to skate for miles on smooth, clear ice, surrounded by mountains and sky.
- Myron and Tracey hosted a couple of great skating parties, complete with bonfire and sausages on the BBQ. At one, Raja even got fully geared up for goalie duty. Total Canadiana, and the best way to embrace winter.
- We did a handful of nighttime skates on our backyard rink with Christmas lights and fires for roasting marshmallows -- always a treat, and usually followed by hot chocolate before bedtime.
- Lots of falls, smiles and laughter on the rink. Ivy got a bit burned out on it later in the season, and I had to clear a lot of snow a few times, but overall it has been awesome.
- Ezra had started learning to skate last year, but it's been amazing to see him take off this year -- even handling the puck. He's in a few of the little video clips below.
Here's the slideshow for that set of skating photos:
And some of my favourite photos: