Monday, March 19, 2012

Hello Cello

I guess it was just before my birthday that I got my cello, the culmination of another odd experience of getting to know someone virtually from a Chinese instrument workshop, building up trust and then getting it shipped halfway across the planet. Here 'tis:


In the first few days, I found it pretty discouraging, feeling like none of my skills from the bass/violin/viola would transfer to this new creature. Two weeks in, I had a breakthrough -- even though I see from the video that the fingering was wrong, I started feeling like I could make some music:



Some of those early experiments formed the backbone for a new quartet piece I've been working on since, to be premiered this summer by the faculty of the Strings the Thing camp in Penticton. More on that to come...

No comments: