Wednesday, April 11, 2012

NHL Playoffs 2012 Predictions

With the NHL playoffs about to begin, I figured I'd better get my predictions up here. This has proven to be a fool's game, although I hit the jackpot last year in my playoff pool, correctly picking players from Vancouver and Boston to make the final. Can't expect that lightning to strike twice.

These picks are influenced strongly by my fandom, as I like the Canucks and Penguins and would love to watch that final, although I also like the Sharks and haven't picked them to upset the Blues. Overall, I've not made any radical picks here. Perhaps choosing the Predators for the western final is a stretch, and a lot of people seem to think that the Flyers will knock off Pittsburgh in the first round. I fully expect to have to revise these after the first round.

West

Round 1
  • Vancouver vs LA -- Canucks in 6
  • St.Louis vs SJ --Blues in 6
  • Chicago vs Phoenix -- Hawks in 5
  • Nashville vs Detroit -- Predators in 7
East

Round 1
  • NYR vs Ott -- Rangers in 5
  • Boston vs Washington -- Bruins in 6
  • Florida vs NJD -- Devils in 5
  • Philly vs Pittsburgh -- Penguins in 7
Update: Well, I blew it big time, and have already gone down in flames in my playoff pool. Canucks and Penguins for the SCF is going to be difficult now. Here are my revised second-round predictions (made before the second round started):


West

Round 2
  • St.Louis vs LA -- Blues in 6
  • Nashville  vs Phoenix -- Nashville in 5
East

Round 2
  • NYR vs Washington -- NYR in 6
  • NJD vs Philly -- Flyers in 5
Beyond that, I've gone for a St.Louis/Rangers final, with St. Louis winning the cup. Considering my record in the first round, the odds of either team making the final just fell to zero. 

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Just for posterity, here were my pre-playoff predictions for the later rounds, already completely blown by having chosen wrong in the first:

Round 2

Vancouver vs Chicago -- Canucks in 6
St. Louis vs Nashville -- Predators in 7

Round 3

Vancouver vs Nashville -- Canucks in 5

East

Round 2

NYR vs NJD -- Rangers in 6
Pitts vs Boston -- Penguins in 7

Round 3

NYR vs Pitts -- Penguins in 6

Stanley Cup Final

Pittsburgh vs Vancouver -- Vancouver in 7